• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dorman or Crown replacement leaf springs for street XJ

rav

NAXJA Forum User
My stock leaf springs have sagged quite a bit and it's time to replace them. Both Crown and Dorman sell springs including the heavy duty ones. I am not averse to using the heavy duty ones as it will give me a slight rake which should help mpg. This is strictly a street jeep only and runs 235's.I was wondering what you guys have used and what's the feedback.

I ordered Dorman 929-301 (Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 4886185AB, 4886187AB, 52000545AB) from Rock Auto two years ago for my stock 96. It has 235/75's and the vehicle sits the same as new, a little higher in the rear.

Which one of the two would you pick? The reviews of Dorman on Amazon seem ok:

Last year I installed a set of Crown replacements on a friend's 97 Country .
They sagged flat within 5000 miles and he doesn't carry heavy loads.
Now it has OME leaves and they have not sagged at all in 8000 miles.
IMO, cheap springs are cheap springs.

Some of Doman's stuff is OK and some iffy, it's the luck of the draw.
Bought a late model intake manifold from them and it looked like a high school C-grade metal casting project, flashing everywhere, especially in the ports.
Cleaning it up to achieve an OEM appearance and fit required a few hours time and a porting kit.
Other Dorman parts fit like OEM.

Atleast Dorman has a lifetime warranty on theirs so if they do sag you'll get a new one for free. Not that anyone wants to do that job more than they have to...

The OME leafs do not cost much more than the Crown HD repalcements.

Back