• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Heavy Steering

Apexi13b

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2000 Cherokee Classic with 170k miles a couple of months ago. I've been doing some preventive maintenance and get all the little things fixed. So far I have Replaced the factory steering damper, replaced all four tires and gotten an alignment, and had a fellow mechanic look at the steering. We still don't know why but the steering feels heavy. It feels as if the wheels are flat when you steer. Steering pump sounds strong could it be the steering box? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have done a search on it but couldn't find anything relevant.

On another note first post looking forward to hearing from people on this forum.

Heavy steering compared to what other vehicles ? You have to remember you are driving a shining example of 1980's AMC automotive technology with a solid front axle.

I will take "heavy" steering vs sloppy, loose steering any day. Might just be how it feels to you vs newer vehicles. Have you swapped out the pwr steering fluid? That is an often neglected fluid and it can make a difference with some new juice.

Maybe check the tow-in on your alignment, some shops don't know 4wd vehicles.

Could be somebody fiddled with the center over adjustment on your steering box. If they did it is likely they left some wrench marks on the locking nut.

I have not replaced the power steering fluid I will have to check the paperwork for my alignment.

Tomorrow I will get under the car and check the steering box.

My friend has a 2001 Cherokee and his steering feels a bit lighter and smoother. Thats the only one that Im basing it off of. I did notice today that the steering wheel sometimes does not return to center as well.

Thanks for the help I will check all of it out

My friend has a 2001 Cherokee and his steering feels a bit lighter and smoother. Thats the only one that Im basing it off of. I did notice today that the steering wheel sometimes does not return to center as well.

With the additional info, I would suspect the ball joints and would wonder what the alignment numbers look like.

I've had a new steering stabilizer stiffen up the steering feel. Either I got use to it, or it loosened up after a while.

Back