• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ daily driver rebuild

Do you mean they turned the crank .040" under, because that's pretty excessive?

Crank grinds are usually .010", .020", and .030". I wouldn't except a core if it was already at .030" .

Crank grinds are usually .010", .020", and .030". I wouldn't except a core if it was already at .030" .

I think it was .02 before, but I'd have to double check the old bearings I have. It looks like the main bearing part numbers changed around 1990 unless it's a typo. I got the old style or the 258 style and the tang is in the wrong location. From my searching I can't find anybody making .06 bearings for the 4.0 crank. Hopefully my shop will help me with this because the sub out the crank work and I'm going to be wanting that money back if I can't get bearings to match what is was ground to. This is exactly why I don't like paying money for services. I generally am disappointed and that's why I do almost everything myself.

If you want to successfully build this, you need to take better control and understanding of what is/needs to be done. I'm going to say that you need a new cam anyway since you didn't keep track of your lifters with the bores and cam lobes.

If you want to successfully build this, you need to take better control and understanding of what is/needs to be done. I'm going to say that you need a new cam anyway since you didn't keep track of your lifters with the bores and cam lobes.

Doing new lifters and the cam looks like it was replaced when the engine was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago. Should be good for a while until I build my 0630 head and when that goes in I'll do a more aggressive cam profile. I think a cam upgrade now is out of the question, especially with the $500 crank I'm going to have to probably buy. My old lady isn't going to like that much. I guess it's like when I built the long travel for my truck. It went from x amount to x amount and she didn't complain much because I've been driving on my own suspension for almost a year now and it's been serving us well. End result is more important than the little hickups along the way.

I hope you at least had them do new cam bearings and align bore the block. Did they use a "torque plate" when boring the cylinders?

Back