• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ cherokee noisy fuel pump

4x4ren

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all just signed up looks like a great forum, and just bought a 1991 XJ 213k miles and i have the dreaded noise fuel pump (yes it runs fine) but I'm not dealing with that noise. I'm asking has any one here just went to an inline external pump and regulator? if so can you put witch ones you used ? please see pic of the out side of my sending unit looks like a return system (two fuel lines going to the front) I've read tooooooo many threads of people change resist,cap,filter,and multi pumps, maybe go's away maybe not and then comes back I'm not playing that game. so my questions are is this the right parts to use 1: 12V pump 50 psi and up? with flow rate 50 gph / 190 lph : a non-vac regulator adjustable in the 25-60 psi range. 3: a screen for the pick up in the tank. If anyone has done it the parts# would be much'o appreciated and ANY input on what to look out for in this type of conversion. Thanks with any and all you guys's help

here is a pic of my tank it looks like it has a return fuel system any please confirm
fuel%20tank1.jpg

Why go through the hassle of designing and installing an external fuel pump, filter and regulator when you can replace the stock pump in a couple of hours, leaving things the way the Factory installed it?
Adding an external pump will still be pulling fuel through the old pump and filter, in case the in-tank pump gets plugger or if the in-tank filter clogs, you will still need to pull the stock pump.
I see few benefits and a lot of downsides.

Hi I will be taking the old pump and regulator out of the tank leaving the sending unit in it and extend the pick up and put a new sock on it, i have the side mount so i don't need to drop he tank thank god, I don't live in a big town so I'm only going to fix it one time with high end parts I'm semi retired and tricking out my toys the way i want them to be is fun for me but fixing the same thing twice just pi$% me off, plus it will make it an easier road side fix if it ever needs to be.:repair:

Yeah that seems to be the story for a lot of the XJ's thats why I'm not going to mess around with this brand that brand of pump in the tank, when i filled it up to drive it home it helped a little bit but not much, I'm looking at the Walbro GSL393 190 Lph and 50 psi max and the Holley Adjustable Fuel Injection Regulator 12-886 15-60 psi

The ballast in the engine compartment on the drivers side is designed to reduce pump noise. Check it with a multimeter to confirm if it's within spec... if not, replace it.

The ballast in the engine compartment on the drivers side is designed to reduce pump noise. Check it with a multimeter to confirm if it's within spec... if not, replace it.

Replacing the ballast resistor is a waste of money, in my opinion. Just bypass the thing. It's not functionally needed, and to be honest I never noticed a difference in my '92 after removing it.

Replacing the ballast resistor is a waste of money, in my opinion. Just bypass the thing. It's not functionally needed, and to be honest I never noticed a difference in my '92 after removing it.
Yeah man this is the kind'a storys I've been reading all over the forums thats why I'm just gong to nip it in the bud and go with an external 40 micron pre filter-(pump walbro VPN-F30000271) - (regulator holly HLY-12-886) - 10 micron post filter, all with high pressure hoses and barb fittings, so far from what I've been able to find out that is a kick ass setup and I can keep cheap spares in the truck for road side fix's

Every walbro style external pump I've used has been loud. I have a genuine walbro on my buggy and it screams even with the isolating boot and good tight mounts. They are also generally short lived as they dont like to suck fuel over any real distance, they aren't cooled by being submerged in fuel, and they dont tolerate being run dry very well.

Thanks this is the kinda feed back I'm looking to get, checking on some OEM pumps from other cars external or internal and just mod the bracket, 80-90% of the cars on the road today are EFI's with no noise and so will my jeep be lol

Back