• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Undercoat

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm having to have some unibody work done due to an idiot rear-ending me. They will likely be cutting a tiny bit for the repair, and I'll bet anything I'll have bare spots down there...

What do y'all recommend as an undercoat to keep rust away that I can apply myself to a small area. I'm in TX so this isn't mission critical but I do want it to last.

If you do not drive on oceanside beaches or on snowy road salt treated roadways, any paint will be fine. I would use POR-15 or something similar.

I have some Rustoleum rust converter and some exterior oil based paint that I used in a pinch. Por-15 is hard to find in small quantities, right?

I've used POR15 in the past. Now I'm using water-based Rustoleum black epoxy, w/activator, on an off-body 72 Jeep Commando resto and like it alot.

Water clean-up and slight water thinning is also nice.

Best regards,

CJR

I've used POR15 in the past. Now I'm using water-based Rustoleum black epoxy, w/activator, on an off-body 72 Jeep Commando resto and like it alot.

Water clean-up and slight water thinning is also nice.

Best regards,

CJR

Is epoxy not too rigid for this? Feels like it would crack.

Asymptonic,

Answering your question on the flexibility of epoxy is not so easy. Twenty or thirty years ago there were about 800-900 formulations for epoxy. Today I would guess there are thousands and thousands of epoxy formulations. If it doubt on your application, discuss using the Rustoleum water-based epoxy "5300 System" with Rustoleum and see what they have to say.

Best regards,

CJR

Thanks. Knowing its the 5300 system helps, I'll look at the material data. Completely understand your point about the formulations and applications.

I read a guys build where he used top secret coatings on his rig and seems to like it. I think it's marine based so fairly durable.

I believe por-15 is supposed to be painted over as well, it at least no exposed to UV.

I used the Rustoleum spray undercoating on my rear wheel wells after doing a cut and fold. I'm on the Texas coast and it seems to have done the job fine.

I'm not really inclined to use either POR-15 or Chassis Saver, as I have no rust in the area to coat. I'd rather something that binds stronger to clean steel and lasts longer.

POR-15 IMO is junk. Its overpriced and does nothing more than paint. I used it on the frame of a project once and got rust forming underneath it, two of my friends have used it and also either got rust or it flaked off. Id take rusteoleum any day over it. That said, Ive had very good luck with VHT products. Ive used their epoxy paint and its holding up fine after years of PA winters.

Back