• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New IRO 4.5" Spring Pack + Add-a-Leaf?

Straight edge on u-joint surfaces @ 16*. Driveshaft at 13.5*. 2.5* pinion. Make ANY sense?
b740348673e097c392024de670952ffe.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
2.5 deg is good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Used the level on my phone instead of mag mount. Will check after new springs.

Considered Deavers as well. I'll just have to see how this goes. These IRO are 2" longer than OEM so will also see where shackle angle ends up and the actual lift I get. I do little or no rockin' and nothing drastic - Moab and Rubicon are not on my bucket list. It's a trail rig.
And yes, I can go roundy-round on this stuff but also expect this to be my last attempt before they pull my license :roflmao:

I have always heard they were longer but I did not realize they were that much longer.

I have always heard they were longer but I did not realize they were that much longer.

I might have misspoken; website says longer, I might have imagined I'd read 2". Guess I'll measure when they're both on the floor.

Run a string along the path of the leaf pack from center-to-center mounting holes.

D'oh.. always think of the right way after I post a question.

Really hopeful on the end result shackle angle with the extended shackles and longer spring. Will go Stinky SRB if'n I have to.

D'oh.. always think of the right way after I post a question.

Really hopeful on the end result shackle angle with the extended shackles and longer spring. Will go Stinky SRB if'n I have to.
52.5"

Stock is supposed to be 51.6".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Correct.

My measurement from the spring attachment points on the unibody measured 51.5 inches (what is .1 inch between friends?).

If maxbraketorque measured the spring center to center that make it 1 inch longer. Not significant but longer non the less.

I think any over the counter leaf pack has a hard job to do. Its supposed to make each and every buyer happy no matter how different they're rigs are.

Change it tune it cut it beat on it and make it work for you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think it will be fine too, but I am a little surprised to see 52.5". IRO told me its 53". My RC 4.5" lift springs are 52.5" flat. I'm sure the IRO spring is better than the RC. IRO has more and thinner leaves which allows it to handle more travel without sagging.

I don't know whether the IRO are progressive; it's doubtful or they probably would state that in the product description.

All springs are progressive, it's just whether they have a "linear" rate or more of a "geometric" rate

IRO has more and thinner leaves which allows it to handle more travel without sagging.

I'm not sure what you mean, if your talking about a "permanent" loss of lift then you have bad spring temper.

I'm not sure what you mean, if your talking about a "permanent" loss of lift then you have bad spring temper.

Or crappy metallurgical processes during fabrication. Or out-spec alloy composition. Also, thicker leaves are subjected to more strain as they are flexed through a given range, so its easier to exceed the yield stress. Definitely lots of ways to end up with leaves that sag quickly. I suspect that good leaves tend to avoid all these issues while crappy leaves probably have all these issues at the same time.

Example: My RE leaves are almost 20yrs old and have been loaded by lots of cargo/flexing and a 500lbs trailer tongue weight but I have never lost any lift. Years ago my friend had some springs re-arched and they "melted-down" within 4hrs of installing them!

I should have added that we were together on the same +4 trail.

Back