• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ on air suspension

Pretty cool project!
Having played around with arduino's for basic stepper motor control, I can appreciate the programming required for this.
For reference, Puma makes a good constant duty 12V compressor.
I imagine you have preset settings, e.g., "highway driving", "normal around town driving", and "entry/exit", and can control each bag/corner separately?
Would like to see some pics of the airbags.

I did program in 5 setting. Minimum slammed to the bump stops no reason to ever use it outside of demonstrating. Highway, this is used all the time and sits about 3” above stock height. The air springs and shocks are “tuned “ for this hight so the ride is really nice. Far superior to the coils and leads I had before. Then I have off-road 1 which is about 6” above stock, here the springs get stiffer but it still handles well. Then off road 2 which is about 8” above stock, here the springs are much stiffer and it strains the track bar. With the track bar out it is manageable. Lastly is Max, this comes in at about 11” over stock, the springs are super tight and it is pretty useless other than it looks cool.
All of the above is tor auto mode. In manual mode it won’t do anything, other than manage tank pressure, unless I make it. In manual mode I can control each bag up or down individually. Fun for messing around. Or getting over a particular obstacle.
I’ll try to get my lady to snap a couple pics.

I have been very happy with it. Even used it a few times on gnarly side hills to transfer weight like you mentioned. It has its limitations but also some serious advantages over regular springs.
All of the shocks are 10” so that limits downward travel. This thing flexes like nobody’s business.

Those are 35” tires.

Sorry, I also meant to ask - any idea of the spring rates, and is rate linear or progressive?

I truly don’t know. This is my first time trying to develop a suspension and I just used the springs and shocks that go on the airrock kit for TJs.

Sorry, I also meant to ask - any idea of the spring rates, and is rate linear or progressive?

Air bag spring rate is progressive at a given pressure, yet adjustable based on the pressure (softer/bouncy ride (lower rate) at lower pressure and stiffer/harder ride at higher pressure).

Back