• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much movement/play at front driveshaft slip joint?

boncrshr

NAXJA Forum User
Is normal? I have a new to me 01 4x4 that has had vibration at 55+ since I got it. Assumed it was pinion angle, but not too concerned because the lift kit is on the way.

I just got underneath and put sideways/up and down force on the front driveshaft slip joint and it is rather loose, shockingly loose might be a better word. I am a noob with 4wd XJs, so 2 questions:
1) Do I have to buy a new driveshaft? They seem pretty spendy, but I don't know if I trust a junkyard one. This is my daily driver, so reliability is priority #1. Also, there are a couple of shops that specialize in driveshaft stuff near me, better off going to one of them?

2) Is it OK to drive without the front driveshaft? I wasn't sure if that put weird stress on the transfer case.

It sounds like you need a new driveshaft. Take it out for now until you get your lift on. Be aware that your LP D30 that it's going to be harder to get a good angle vs vibes.

It sounds like you need a new driveshaft. Take it out for now until you get your lift on. Be aware that your LP D30 that it's going to be harder to get a good angle vs vibes.

I was just in the garage and took it off. I settled on the 4" Iron Rock Offroad lift kit, and I have read about driveline vibration after a lift. All that play in the front really surprised me because I have had it off before when I replaced all of the u-joints when I first got it, and didn't notice it then. All this time I was assuming it was my pinion angle because the PO had put a 2" coil spacer up front and small shackle in the rear and it was really sagging in the back.

slip shafts fail... it happens.

take it out and drive the vehicle down the road. if you vibration is gone, youve found the issue. even though the truck is in 2wd, the front hubs engage the axle shafts, which spins the carrier, which turns the front driveshaft. so it is reasonable that a tired front shaft could cause driveline vibration in 2wd.

if it is the culprit... dont pitch it. keep it as a trail spare.

slip shafts fail... it happens.

take it out and drive the vehicle down the road. if you vibration is gone, youve found the issue. even though the truck is in 2wd, the front hubs engage the axle shafts, which spins the carrier, which turns the front driveshaft. so it is reasonable that a tired front shaft could cause driveline vibration in 2wd.

if it is the culprit... dont pitch it. keep it as a trail spare.

Thanks, will do.

Just a bit of follow-up. I drove the Jeep at freeway speeds today minus the front driveshaft and absolutely no driveline vibrations. So that was definitely the unexpected culprit.

Just a bit of follow-up. I drove the Jeep at freeway speeds today minus the front driveshaft and absolutely no driveline vibrations. So that was definitely the unexpected culprit.
Gold star for the follow-up! As a new XJ owner, it's super frustrating to run across all these forums posts where the OP never circles back to report findings and close the loop.

THANK YOU! :)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Gold star for the follow-up! As a new XJ owner, it's super frustrating to run across all these forums posts where the OP never circles back to report findings and close the loop.

THANK YOU! :)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Me too! No worries. I still need to get a new driveshaft. Might run by the driveshaft shop on my way home and see how much one runs locally.

Back