• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear selection

XJFAMFUN

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a '93 Cherokee 4.0l that is sitting on 35s. Has Rustys 8 inch lift and long arm kit. It has the Dana 30 front and 8.25 rear axles. I am getting it geared, as it still has stock gears. The guy Im using recommended going with 4.56 gears for freeway/ daily driving/ trail/climbing. I was thinking more like 4.88s. Any suggestion or input fromanyone with actual experience wjth re geared set ups? Thanks.

With 33"s and 4.56, my XJs freeway RPMs are not excessive, with 35"s 4.88s would be suggested.
You might want to drop it a few inches too.

Deeper is almost always better. 4.56 will put you closer to 'stock' than 4.88, but it does not compensate for the fact you went from spinning 150 pounds to spinning 400 pounds, and that does play a big factor.

On the freeway, my XJ with 4.56s and 33s on steel beadlocks (got a deal, not really necessary for me since sub 15psi just means I just scrape the 8.25 everywhere) feels, er, sufficient power wise. In the hills, I wish I went 4.88. Only bummer about 4.88 on a D30 is you don't have much in the way of teeth on that pinion.

On the freeway, my XJ with 4.56s and 33s on steel beadlocks (got a deal, not really necessary for me since sub 15psi just means I just scrape the 8.25 everywhere) feels, er, sufficient power wise. In the hills, I wish I went 4.88. Only bummer about 4.88 on a D30 is you don't have much in the way of teeth on that pinion.

You know, people say this.

But its the exact same engagement as a 4.56, and the 4.56's seem to break more.

4.56s for 33s and 4.88s for 35s is like stock.
I had 4.56s on 35s for awhile and would be out of overdrive more. 4.88s will get you about 150 more RPM which isn't much but makes a difference for hill.

fully loaded with gear on a 35s with a auto and 4.56s and it drives fine. even in the mountains of NH.

I had mine done yesterday and I am kind of disappointed lol. I went with 4.56s. I expected a huge difference from the stock 3.55s, but its not anything crazy. I noticed i still have to have my foot in it and it downshifts and upshifts and downshifts going up a grade i normally drive

35s. The guy I used to do the gears recommended 4.56s when I asked about 4.88s and so did the charts I found online. He said for a mix of regular road driving/trail/crawling i would be happier with 4.56s.

Erm. You're a little under-geared. Adding a little power will help. 4.88 or 5.13 would have been better

Well 4.88's would have been better, your almost the equivalent of stock but with an extra 400 lbs of rotating weight.

Nevermind scrolled up.

Cold air intake, header and 2.5" catback without getting into the engine.

I just regeared to 4:10 with 32’s. Somewhat disappointed. 4:56 would have been better. I say “ When in doubt, go with lower gears”.

Back