• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 4.0 won't fit in 2001 XJ?

gordons4

NAXJA Forum User
So I threw a rod in my 2001 4.0 and bunched a hole in the block. I bought a new 4.0 stamped manufacturer year '95. I did a full soft rebuild on it changing everything except the crank, pistons, and cam. I finally got it put together and dropped it in the engine bay to find out the mount brackets on the engine block don't line up with the '01 xj engine mounts (they're about 3"-4" more offset). Am I just stupid or could this '95 block (from unknown vehicle) have different engine mount brackets bolted to it than the normal xj ones? Did they ever change?
Thanks

Okay, I had suspected it came from a grand Cherokee. I found some motor block mount brackets for an xj on eBay and I'd imagine those would bolt right on the the block right?

Please clarify, the engine mounting bolt holes in the block are not right, or the engine mounts that the block came with are not right ?

Last edited:
It should just bolt in. I've put a 94 block in my 98 and a 98 block in my 91 and several of my friends have used early 90s 4.0s in their 00/01 XJs.

However, if the block was sold to you incorrectly, and is actually from a 2000 or later TJ or a 99 or later WJ... it would explain the issues you are having. Those blocks have completely different motor mount and tensioner/AC compressor bolt holes on the driver side of the block.

Also what head casting are you using? The factory head for yours was an 0331, the better one is the 0331 TUPY. If you are using an early 90s (7120) or late 90s (0630) head, you will have to fabricate coil rail mounts and use the adapter plate from www.jeepexhaustadapter.com or your manifold gasket will either leak immediately at the exhaust ports or will burn through far faster than it should.

My old head was the problem so I bought a remanufactured 0331, so no worries there.
I bought the motor from a guy who claimed it was out of a 2000 Grand Cherokee but upon inspection it has 95 stamped in it as the manufactured year and had a '95 0630 head as well. At this point I'm guessing it was originally out of a '95/'96 Grand Cherokee and that's why the side brackets are different? everything else seems the exact same.

What is the casting number and casting date on the drivers side of the engine block ?

Last edited:
This has gotten a bit confusing.
The actual mounts that are on either side of the engine block are not lining up with the vehicles engine mount locations

What is the casting number and casting date on the drivers side of the engine block ?

Please clarify, the engine mounting bolt holes in the block are not right, or the engine mounts that the block came with are not right ?

the engine mounts that the block came with are not right. everything else has been fine

the engine mounts that the block came with are not right.

So the obvious solution is to use XJ engine mounts in an XJ.

53020569 is a 1996-1998 engine block casting that will bolt into any 1987 - 2001 XJ Cherokee.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

Okay, thank you very much for the information. I will hit up the scrap yard tomorrow and pull some off of an xj motor (probably the only thing I didn't keep off of the old motor). Thanks a lot!

Back