• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The problem continues...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
So.... I thought I had this thing beat last weekend....but NOOOOOOO!!

Damn thing is up to its same old tricks....Heres the scenario...

Driving along..starts to cut out. Sometimes it comes back to life, and other times it dies. Has done this 5 times now since last night. Something tells me that if I can't catch this soon...I'm gonna get stranded.

So...here's what I've tried.....replace fuel filter..ran ok so apperently this was NOT clogged.

I trip NO codes in the ECU. I tried replaceing my TPS with a known good unit, and it still does the same thing. Cleaned my IAC, but didn't replace. Again this problem has not set off any codes. So...I'm thinking I can eliminate my sensors..but I'm not 100 % sure.

The sound out of the throttle body is like it is getting choked. Not sure if it is a fuel, or air mixture problem. Not sure actually what the hell the problem is.

91,4.0,5spd.

WHO has an idea ?

What are the symptoms of a bad CPS ? I'm running out of ideas...

ChuckD said:
MAP and vacuum leak can affect the idle and make it run rough. CPS can run rough before it dies and then it just stops working. The coil can also be and issue.

Have fun! My 93' still has gremlins that creep up about every year.

great....hunt and peck. Good thing I have plenty of parts around work for this. 'cept for a CPS.

NO vacum leaks that I can detect though...

Is it possibly an electirical problem? I have a Ford Van that did much the same thing, turned out to be the main fuse block was cracked and shutting off the computer randomly (due to vibrations), just wondering if this could be a similiar problem

Tarakian said:
Is it possibly an electirical problem? I have a Ford Van that did much the same thing, turned out to be the main fuse block was cracked and shutting off the computer randomly (due to vibrations), just wondering if this could be a similiar problem

everything there seems to be ok. This is not random anymore...it is becoming much more frequent. Which leads me to belive that at SOME point...unless I get it first..I could be screwed. (i.e. stuck along way from home, or parts.)

anyone know the CPS part # and aprox. cost ?

red91inWA said:
everything there seems to be ok. This is not random anymore...it is becoming much more frequent. Which leads me to belive that at SOME point...unless I get it first..I could be screwed. (i.e. stuck along way from home, or parts.)

anyone know the CPS part # and aprox. cost ?

$65 from Autzone and 90 something from the dealer. I'm sure Napa and Kragen were inbeween them.

you can always look it up.
www.kragen.com

ChuckD said:
$65 from Autzone and 90 something from the dealer. I'm sure Napa and Kragen were inbeween them.

you can always look it up.
www.kragen.com

well....gonna pick one of those up just in case....

anyone else have some ideas of where to look or been through similar situation ??

I can get a MAP sensor no problem..guess I'll do that right now.

Maybe I missed the post where this was declared verboten, but how about having a shop diagnose the problem properly?

At that point, you can either go, "Oh! I can fix that." and offer the guy who diagnosed it a few bones, or pony up the cash if it's completely beyond you.

I don't mean paying some dipwad $65 bucks to hook it up to a computer, but actually having a professional take a hard look at it. I've done this for years with my mechanic. I told them up front that I was doing it and offered a few bucks for their effort, since estimates are free (and they usually assume that they'll make it back when they get paid to fix it). They still give me the diagnosis for free since they know I'll bring the heavy maintenance to them and reccomend them to others every time.

I'm not picking on you in particular, I just decided to mention this since it's the bazillionth post I've read where someone was having a bitch of a time diagnosing something in the driveway.....and no, I'm not innocent of this myself.

BruteXJ said:
Maybe I missed the post where this was declared verboten, but how about having a shop diagnose the problem properly?

At that point, you can either go, "Oh! I can fix that." and offer the guy who diagnosed it a few bones, or pony up the cash if it's completely beyond you.

I don't mean paying some dipwad $65 bucks to hook it up to a computer, but actually having a professional take a hard look at it. I've done this for years with my mechanic. I told them up front that I was doing it and offered a few bucks for their effort, since estimates are free (and they usually assume that they'll make it back when they get paid to fix it). They still give me the diagnosis for free since they know I'll bring the heavy maintenance to them and reccomend them to others every time.

I'm not picking on you in particular, I just decided to mention this since it's the bazillionth post I've read where someone was having a bitch of a time diagnosing something in the driveway.....and no, I'm not innocent of this myself.

I wish I knew someone that was as good as you guys are. I do have ONE guy I'd trust...but on a 91, if I can hook up a computer to it to read the codes...WOULDN'T they show up in the Key Cycle test ?

On my 91 with a similar problem, it was the pigtail on the distributor. And it cost me less to have a professional diagnose and fix it then it cost me in replacing parts based on my best guess. The shop I use works on Jeeps only (stock to highly modified). I try to do alot of work myself but I'm no good at diagnosing problems.

Tarakian said:
Try this on a pitch black night, or in a dark garage. Open the hood and look for random, out of place, sparking. My old Monte Carlo started randomly dying and when I opened the hood on a dark night the plug wires looked like a Christmas Tree. Replaced the wires, distributor, and cleaned up some other stuff and NP. HTH.

Back