• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering pump leak

TuXJ98

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I just finished overhauling my power steering. New Lares gear box, New Lares WJ V8 pump (using correct return port), New Edelman hoses, and a cooler in front of the radiator.

Steering is GREAT!!! However, I have a leak. It is seeping out from the base of the orifice where the high pressure line screws into. It was my stock orifice swapped over to the WJ pump. Seems to only be a slow seep, until I do a lock to lock turn when stopped and motor running. Then it sprays all over from there.

I tightened the orifice down very snug (couldn’t find a torque spec when searching). I’m afraid to strip the threads by trying to crank it any further, as I’ve done that once before.

Could the o-ring be suspect? It never leaked on my stock pump. In hindsight, I should have used the new o-ring from the WJ part to replace my old one. That’s my next step, if I can find the WJ part in the trash. 😆

Any other ideas from anyone who may have experienced this during this swap? I thought about Teflon tape, but I believe that’s advised to be a no-no.

I am all for ordering a new o-ring seal/ but don’t know what it specifically is called, or if it’s one that would come with a pump seal kit online.

Besides the leak issue, this upgrade was well worth it. I can steer at a stand-still with one hand again!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a caliper, you could measure the OD of the pipe the oring fits on. Then the OD of stop. ACE, True Value, Lowes should have an oring to fit. Orings take a set. They get hard over time. I use to see square 'orings' , when I took apart stuff. Duh, it was round orings that collapse. They do make square ones though, or seals.

Back