• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliding rear windows on XJ

I have never seen sliders, but my '95 did have pop-outs.

I don't know, it's an interesting alternative use for the spot where that quarter window goes (which, one must admit is not all that useful when the spare tire is mounted in the stock location).

Is it my cup of tea? No. Is it clever? Sure.

Looking at the Biltwell site some more, I now see that they sell the unit without the storage box attached. So that does fit the OP’s description of what he’s looking for: an opening rear window.

I remembered something about sliding and gullwing windows for an XJ.
Took me a bit to find it.

https://explore-glazing.nl/en/products/jeep-cherokee-xj

I always wondered if I could somehow take the pop out windows from a 2 door and make it work on a 4 door.

Nifty link. Not as pricey as I would have thought.

The 2dr rear quarter glass is, if memory serves, longer (front-to-back) than the 4-dr version, so I'd guess you'd have some work figuring out how to cut them down to fit. Interesting idea, though.

I really like the whole explore-glazing product line. Their stuff looks perfect for a dedicated overlanding rig.

Nifty link. Not as pricey as I would have thought.

The 2dr rear quarter glass is, if memory serves, longer (front-to-back) than the 4-dr version, so I'd guess you'd have some work figuring out how to cut them down to fit. Interesting idea, though.

They are longer.
I would have to figure out how the glass comes out of the rubber gasket on a 2 door. Guessing just like a 4 door though.
Then figure out if I could cut 2 cargo windows smaller from a 4 door.
Then cut the rubber and glue it back to together and get the cut down windows from the 4 door in there.
Then there is the curve of the windows that might have to be taken into account.
And who knows what else.
This is just one of the many dumb ideas that run through my head. LOL.
But if I could find 2 door windows cheap enough I would try.
Hey what is the worst that can happen?
I can't pull it off and I scrap the whole project. LOL.

Back in the early 90's CRL made them for the 2dr XJ. Know it for fact as I considered buying them. Looked similar to the 2dr S10 Blazer when they added sliders to their 2dr.

The XJ is a great car, but one thing that I don't like is that the rear windows don't open. I think this is a design flaw and should be changed. I know that some people will say that this is not a big deal, but I think that it is. I think the rear windows should be able to open so that people can get some fresh air back there. I think this would be a great feature, and I hope Jeep will change this in the future. I don't open it very often because I have installed a sunshade from snapshades.com.au.

Back