• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for the right cylinder head

s7tech

NAXJA Forum User
I just tore my 1990 cherokee with a 4.0 liter apart hoping to find the head gasket blown but it was the cylinder head. I looked in the old post and could not really find any information on where is the best place to buy a replacement. What is the difference between a 0331 and 0631 head? What should I have to spend? I am thinking of calling Scotty's Jeeps in fontana and seeing what they have lying around. Thanks Danny

s7tech said:
I just tore my 1990 cherokee with a 4.0 liter apart hoping to find the head gasket blown but it was the cylinder head. I looked in the old post and could not really find any information on where is the best place to buy a replacement. What is the difference between a 0331 and 0631 head? What should I have to spend? I am thinking of calling Scotty's Jeeps in fontana and seeing what they have lying around. Thanks Danny

For ease of replacement I would go with another RENIX head, 87-90. I don't know the casting number for the RENIX, some one on here will.

the 0331 was used in 00-01 XJs, and its the one prone to cracking....

0630 is genrally considered one of the most reliable head castings...

search for 0331 head and you will see the number of threads where people have had cracking problems..... its almost as high as the number of people who've had rusty's track bars fail :D

Back