• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Install question...

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished lifting my jeep w/ the RE 3.5" Super flex kit...(the hybrid kit from DPG) Looks great so far very happy w/ it...but i deff. need the d/s and sye for the vibes...its an 00xj. I had a performance jeep tech look at it and he said i'd probably need 4-6 degree shimms...along w/ the d/s and sye...how hard is it to install in hours?? For an experienced tech that is? He told me he would need the jeep for the whole day to tune the rear and all....last week he said it would take about an hour for the install and an hour for the tuning....which sounds closest to the truth b/c i dont have extra money to blow on labor for something that really wont take the hole day....thanks for any help.

took me about 2 hours.. thats the hack and tap kit though

JeepXJ93 said:
I just finished lifting my jeep w/ the RE 3.5" Super flex kit...(the hybrid kit from DPG) Looks great so far very happy w/ it...but i deff. need the d/s and sye for the vibes...its an 00xj. I had a performance jeep tech look at it and he said i'd probably need 4-6 degree shimms...along w/ the d/s and sye...how hard is it to install in hours?? For an experienced tech that is? He told me he would need the jeep for the whole day to tune the rear and all....last week he said it would take about an hour for the install and an hour for the tuning....which sounds closest to the truth b/c i dont have extra money to blow on labor for something that really wont take the hole day....thanks for any help.
In answer to your very last question, the hack n' tap is a particular type of SYE, its easier in some ways to install than a heavy duty SYE, but harder to get it right. Having done a hack n' tap myself, I would not do it again, instead I would just spend the few extra buck to have a heavy duty one. And since it sounds like you are paying someone else to do it, I would definitely recommend a heavy duty SYE. In response to your other questions:
DS: takes just a couple of minutes to bolt in place.
SYE: easier if you take the t-case out of the jeep, but overall for an experience mechanic, I would guess no more than an hour or so. Might take 2-3 if you are feeling your way as you go.
Angled shims: again just a few minutes, but getting them perfect might be a little trial and error for the mechanic. My 97 required 5.5 degrees to get it right. He needs to unbolt the ubolts, put the shims in place and put the bolts back on.

To me, it would make sense that a quality mechanic would recommend he keep the jeep all day, just in case he runs into difficulty and needs to get parts. However, if it takes more than four hours for the whole kit and kaboodle, I would be asking about a specific time breakdown per task.

Aside from all this, how are your own mechanical skills? There is nothing really difficult to what you are getting done. If you have some basic tools, time and a space to work, you could very likely get your way through all of this in under a day, and at the very most over a weekend. You will learn a hell of a lot more about your vehicle if you install things yourself.

Good Luck with everything,
Buck :canada:

They are both SYE. The hack and tap utilizes the stock output shaft that must me cut down and drilled and taped then a flange bolts directly to the shortened shaft. With other SYE's you have to split the case. The RE Hack and Tap has held up well for many people, I personaly run it with 33 tsl's, 4.88's and detroits with out any problem. RE or any RE dealer can hook you up with a shaft to fit it as well. DPG also has a deal with Hyangle driveline I believe. If money is tight the hack/tap might be up your alley, the flange is under 100.00. If you have any mech skills at all you can tackle the install, is us super easy, I had my shaft cut, drilled and taped and flange on in under an hour. as for the shims you should be able to do those as well.

Back