• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 cylinder head question

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I took a bit of a hiatus and went with a wj for a while but am looking to get back in the XJ game again. I'm looking at a 99 classic that has a build date of 08/98 and am wondering what head is on it. I haven't seen it in person so I can't check the casting number. I talked to the guy and he tried to see but said he saw two 3's that's about it. It does still have a regular distributor and such. Do the 0331's only come with coil on plug? I thought the earlier '99's were the 0630? Or is it 06330? Thanks in advance for any info.

... It does still have a regular distributor and such. Do the 0331's only come with coil on plug? .....

Spark plug wires makes it an 0630 head. Coil on spark plug rail makes it a 0331 head.

I can't very what's been mentioned earlier. One sure shot way I. Look to verify the dreaded 0331 is precats. Also the smog sticker under the hood. If your XJ is federal most likley not 0331.

I can't very what's been mentioned earlier. One sure shot way I. Look to verify the dreaded 0331 is precats. Also the smog sticker under the hood. If your XJ is federal most likley not 0331.

Not all 0331's have the precats. Do you mean '99s with precats? All 2000/1s have the 0331, FED or CA.

The earlier head was 0630, so if it has two 3's, it must be 0331. My 2000 is cracked.

He sent me a pic and it does look like the number is in fact an 0331. I don't understand seeing as how it is distributor and has an early build date. There's a guy on jeepsunlimited who has a '99 with a build date of 10/98 and has the 0630 head. I'm assuming maybe this head is no the stock one..

Back