• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tucking winch wiring

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you with winches, especially those whose winches sit pretty close to the grill, how or where do you tuck the wires that go from the solenoid pack to the motor? The ones that came with my winch seem awfully long for such a short run and consequently they form loops that stick out the back a bit. I know I could cut and recrimp them, but I might move the solenoid box into the engine compartment at some point.

I'm building my winch mount and I think I may make it so that the wires "fit" into the oval-shaped hole on the passenger side of the front crossmember, but I thought I'd see how others have done it.

It's a Smittybilt XRC8 winch going on a '99, 4.0.
Thanks.

Ive got the smittybuilt as well and just cut and re-crimped them. The shorter the power wires the better. I guess it doesnt really matter too much where you stuff the extra though.

I ran the cables through the oval hole on the passenger side. The control box is mounted under the hood, next to radiator overflow bottle. The short cables had to be replaced with new, longer cables. I used a crimper from West Marine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157604557867782/

The winch control box is mounted beside the winch and the cables go down through the oval hole ,along the frame attached on the top of lip. ,and up in front of the motor mount. Then forward a couple of inches to the battery. The winch bumper is a c4x4 and the control box is mounted beside the winch and flush with the top of the bumper. The plug in controls are right beside the air box. All of the cables are wrapped with the corrugated black plastic sheathing

I pulled the grill insert loose on mine and fished the wires through the openings in the grill. Then ran them along the bottom of the grill and through a hole right under the pass. side turn signal which goes up right between the battery and corner.

Back