• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want some wing winders

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
How hard is it, or is it possible to put some of the vent style wing widows in a 2 door 1990 XJ. If so where on earth can I find some and how much? I've checked with a few of the junk yards around here and nobody has any XJ's with the vent windows.

If we're talking early body style...

I've done the swap, and it's pretty straightforward. Remove the non-funtional "smoker" windows, install the functional ones.

There are two screws in the leading edge of the door that you'll need to remove, and I believe two rivets down inside the door, behind the "filler panel." You can use bolts to replace the rivets - anytime I drill out a door rivet, I just drill it out to 1/4", and use 1/4-20 stainless hardware to replace it. Make sure to use some sort of self-locking nut, so you don't have to go in and retorque the thing twice a year.

Also, make sure the channel on the vent window is properly aligned with the main window glass - once you get in there, you'll see what I'm talking about.

On the whole, probably 30-45 minutes per window to change, assuming the OEMR rivets are still in place.

5-90

possible on a 97+?

man, that is cool - kentucky pronounciation of "Windows" becomes winders... nice!

I recently put one in. My Jeep is a 96 4 door and the donor was an 87 2dr, so there you go. I decided to replace my triangular window with the wing one since my window broke. Hmm, I don't remember anything about rivets on either vehicle (maybe another year)? You need to remove some window trim and the door skin. The triangular window is an assembly held on by 2 screws on top and one bolt below. That bolt was torx (ugh) on the donor and hex on mine. When you go to the junkyard, it helps to spray some penetrating lube on everything you take off and then smoke a cig, drink a coke, read, whatever you do that takes 5-10 min.

I am trying to remove my wing window to straighten out a wrinkle below it. This was the only thread I found that discusses that procedure.

I have an FSM and following directions there, have removed the single 10 mm bolt at the bottom of the window and the two phillips screws at the top and front of the wing window. The FSM does not mention any rivets. Are the rivets only used with power windows? I do have power windows but can't figure out how to get the frame out. Can anybody share the tricks?

TIA
MoFo

I made the swap from vents to solid windows on my 89, 4 door, power windows. No rivets here just a total of 3 bolts/screws.I rolled window down all the way and then gently maneuverthe wings out and the new ones back in. Taking off the inside doors trim took longest.

I got the vent "winders" from an '86 and the owner told me it was a PITA to drill the rivets-- changed my fixed windows ('94) for the vents and they were bolted in.

I'll assume the earlier ones were riveted and later ones got bolted in.

Back