• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced head gasket: no fire no fuel

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had this problem? Symptoms point to the CPS but I pulled the jeep in th garage over a month ago and it hasn't been started since. I drove it in there so would it be odd for the CPS to fail after sitting for a month? It's a 1996 XJ btw.

I don't hear the fuel pump come on nor do I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

I count 3 grounds if my notes are right, two on the left side of the block and one on the valve cover by the firewall. Have I missed one?

I didn't disconnect the battery until about half way through the job. Could this have caused some to go bad? Fuel pump relay is good...

Double check to make absolutely sure your CPS is plugged into the proper harness-side connector. You might think there is only one it will fit, but my RENIX had no less than three identical three-prong purple/white wire connectors - one was a leftover from a factory C101 bypass, one I never figured out what it was for, and one was the correct live plug.

Ironically I learned this after doing my head gasket and reassembling everything - I couldn't get it to turn over either. I don't know if it affects the fuel prime so it might not be your issue, but worth mentioning.

how do I check the CEL codes on a 1996? it has the instrument cluster with the big gas gauge and no tach. tried turning the key on/off 3 times but didn't see any CEL flashing anywhere.

Back