• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight Trans Jack

i actually had no idea you needed to remove the tranny to convert to 4wd.... but theres no sense in spending $300+ on a tranny jack you plan on using once. that tranny jack has a 450# cap. and i am sure the aw4 is well under that... i am 145# and can drag one across the garage floor... no way i could do that if it was 450#... i never used that particular jack but it should work... always remember you get what you pay for and 80 bucks is cheap for a trans jack... but i would buy it. even if it breaks the third time you use it you still 80 bucks worth of jack out of the deal thats how i see it lol

I had one of those for several years. It worked OK. I finally wore it out. The rollers got funky and thrust bearing on the lead screw puked. I probably did a half dozen trannies and a dozen t-cases with it.

I've always done them by hand with a friend. Just do one component at a time. Don't try to do the trans/tranfecase together, you'll blow a gasket!

I used one of what the OP was looking at to change the clutch in my '84. Pulled transmission and xfer case together.

The jack was pretty wobbly and I was doing the job alone so it was a bit risky for dropping the assembly but I got it done ok.

I've always used one like this because I already had it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

Works great for a number of things other than its intended usage...trans, transfer case, gas tank, etc. The actual bottle jack is replaceable, and you can throw a ratchet strap over it to strap down anything you don't want to move on it. Also to note, the bottle jack assembly on mine collapses down some as you let the jack down. I believe this one is the same way.

I'm gonna be doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion soon. I've seen threads where guys say they just used floor jacks to replace transmissions, but I'm looking at this as a low cost alternative.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo.../450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

Any experience with this? Or any better ideas?

used that one in January to pull trans and case on a TJ to change a clutch-- worked fine, but I wouldn't want to use it on a rough surface. The wheels are kinda small and it does get "tippey" when loaded up. For a once or twice item it's worth not paying more, but you'll never make a living using it. I'd agree that it won't hold up to more that a half dozen (ish) transmissions before it gets loose and sloppy.

Back