• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Ignition Problem "strange"

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Working on a 89'
I just replaced the steering column with one from a 93'. I finish pluging everything in and went to start the jeep and the minute I move the key to the "run" position the jeep trys to start and when I move the key to "start" the starter grinds, this is because it is already spinning. Also when the key is turned mack to the ACC position, past the off position, it does the same thing, all of the plugs were the same.'

Does anyone know or experienced this problem.
Please help with this.

William H.

IIRC the ignition key only has 3 positions, off/run/start. i know my 87 does. if you suddenly have acc/off/run/start then it will cause some issues. i would run out to check, but its still 97* outside and its 1030 lol

I'll trade you the lose of an hour for the cooler temp.
I have acc/off/run/start, not sure if it should have the acc however I can turn the key back and it will distincly pop like there is a delent there.

okay, just realized i do have the four positions... but they are lock(off)/ACC/ON/START. although the reason i only thought i had 3 was because it didnt feel like there was a delent for it lol. but definitely lock is off, the notch on the column and the key flange line up. maybe thats the issue.

Likely problem: The ignition switch (that mounts on the column towards the floor) has oblong mounting holes that allow for slight adjustment. If the switched functions don't match up with the key position, you need to loosen the mounting screws and move the switch up or down until everything coincides. The small amount of adjustment that is possible can make a big difference. I replaced my '93 switch several years ago and got tired of messing with the adjustment before I got the ACC position to work every time. I just have a separate switch for the radio which is the only accessory component I am interested in.

Also, there are different switches for tilt and non-tilt but I assume the switch you are using came with the column. Otherwise, I believe the switches are electrically the same for '89 and '93 years.

Having said that, your situation with ignition on in all positions seems extreme. I assume the rod that goes from the cylinder to the switch is properly positioned.

And, the positions are ACC/LOCK/OFF/ON/(START) in that order.

When the key is in (off) position it is lined up and the key removes. With the key installed I can rotate the tumbler back to an acc position. The fuel pump comes on, all accessories power up and the starter kicks on. It will start in this position, however the starter continues to run.

When the key is in the (run) position it will power the fuel pump, will not prime pump for 3 sec, instead it just turns on. Also the starter kicks on and after it starts the starter continues to run.

When the key is moved to the (start) position the actions are the same as above. When the key is released, returning back the the (run) position. The starter still stays on.

I have changed columns, 89-to-93 and I have replaced the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch.

Are you familiar with the adjustment I mentioned? If not, I would try it unless you are absolutely sure everything is properly aligned.

It has been several years since I did mine and I don't remember if the lock cylinder indexing can get messed up.

Were you having any problems before swapping the columns? Might guess that your starter solenoid is sticking except that I assume the problem began after the column swap and, in any event, the ignition switch certainly isn't properly adjusted.

Let us know how it goes. Perhaps someone else will chime in with some other ideas.

I am, the switch is adjusted in to the correct spot. Also I do not believe to index of the switch would give the starter solenoid power in both the acc and the run position. I check the wires at the column and find that all of the wires have +power with the key in the acc and run. This includes the green starter solenoid wire.

I don't think so, I replaced the switch from my original column. It worked before, does anyone have a renix wire diagram for the ignition switch plug?

I tried to do skittles diagnosing, with the plugs to the ignition switch unplugged. Her are my strange findings.

With plugs removed, using a jump wire.
Thick gauge Red wire has +power all the time (battery constant)

If I jump the red wire to thick gauge Yellow wire. The jeeps acc's power up and fuel pump powers on. Does not prime pump but continues to run.

If I jump the Red wire to the thick gauge Brown wire. The jeeps acc's power up and the fuel pump powers on. Does not prime pump but just runs continues to run

If I jump the Red wire to the Green wire. The jeep acc's power up and the fuel pump turn on. Does not prime but runs continues to run

If I jump Red wire to thick gauge Orange Wire nothing happens
If I jump Red wire to the small grey/red wire nothing happens

I tried to do skittles diagnosing, with the plugs to the ignition switch unplugged. Her are my strange findings.

With plugs removed, using a jump wire.
Thick gauge Red wire has +power all the time (battery constant)

If I jump the red wire to thick gauge Yellow wire. The jeeps acc's power up and fuel pump powers on. Does not prime pump but continues to run.

If I jump the Red wire to the thick gauge Brown wire. The jeeps acc's power up and the fuel pump powers on. Does not prime pump but just runs continues to run

If I jump the Red wire to the Green wire. The jeep acc's power up and the fuel pump turn on. Does not prime but runs continues to run

If I jump Red wire to thick gauge Orange Wire nothing happens
If I jump Red wire to the small grey/red wire nothing happens

none of them end up trying to start the engine? that is crazy. now its officially over my head. i guess take the jumper wire and start combining the red jumper with the yellow (engine on) and see which ones engage the starter.

Last edited:
No

I figured it out, I unwrapped the harness as far as I could and found that slot of the wires had melted together. I re wired them and everything works great.

Thanks for all of the responses

no problem. i feel like i was more like the guy on the side saying randomness lol

Back