• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tucking up the catalyst and muffler

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On the XJ how high up can the catalyst and muffler be tucked under the floor?

How tucked are yours?

I got near 2.5 inches between the floor and the catalyst. my catalyst has a heat shield on it on the top side. I am thinking of adding a heat shield between the floor and catalyst and raising the cat.

How close do you all run the catalyst to the floor board?

Thanks!

Do you have to pass emmisions?

I'd give muffler and cat a couple inches probably not worry about heat sheailds

After doing this on my 92, I found out that the floorboard just got too hot. My rubber mats melted and were smoking inside the XJ and I had to install heat shielding along the entire run where it was closest to the floor board.

I would not do it again...

The catalyst gets really hot and needs the space for cooling. I wouldn't screw with it and I would eliminate the shield either.

This.

I unintentionally pushed mine up into the floor with a rock and almost set the carpet on fire driving back from a wheeling trip.

I guess the cat comes off for wheeling then.

I was thinking originally of adding an additional heat shield and then move the cat higher up, thinking the additional heat shield will compensate for less distance between the cat and floor board. But evidently that is not a good idea. Yeah my brand new cat gets hot, it has a stainless body and after first use of only tens of miles the stainless has turned color do to the heat, This is a california cat, so it might run hotter than 49 state cats as it is supposed to be doing more catalyzing.

Mine is turning into more of a trail only rig, but I replaced my cat with one of the tube shaped universal ones from magnaflow and straight piped the rest with 2.5". Everything is flush with the bottom of the unirails. The cat is tucked away near the crossmember. I had to weld in a bung for the d/s O2 sensor to keep the CEL off.

Moved mine as close as I could and used some heat shielding. Mine also isn’t a daily. So just for posterity I put a small piece of plywood on the floor inside just to stop things from getting too hot. Lol :gee:

Back