• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cyrogenic treatment?

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
i have been reading about this cryogenic treatment the last couple days and it sounds like a a pretty cool idea especially for the price if it works

my question is if i were to do this on a stock set of axle shafts for my d-30 and then combine them with a set of 760 u-joints would that be a halfway decent upgrade or would it just be a waste of time

based on the info i have gathered from other sites like pirate guys are claiming the shaft will become 10-30% stronger after the treatment which seems pretty significant but nobody so far has really proved it

what do yall think

last question does anybody know where i could get this done locally
thanks

yea i read that article they claimed after the treatment they were 30-50% stronger then they were before

i guess its worth a try if i can find somebody local that will do it for a reasonable price

I thought freezing stuff really cold makes it more brittle.

From what I have heard about it, it needs to be done at the same time as the initial heat treating. In a heat treating its actualy the cooling or quenching process that does this. since cryo is so darn cold, it enhances the quench, therefore making it a harder and stronger metal... thats just what i read at the first site i went to... http://www.onecryo.com/how.htm ... i saw a couple other sites that looks like they will do it to anything no matter the age or condition of the material, even plastics!

Yes, making something cold will make it much more brittle. But that's only as long as it's cold. Cryo temps are (I believe) anything below -150F. They just throw it in a tank of liquid N2. I work in a cryo shop on CVN-72. Fun stuff to play with.

Yes, making something cold will make it much more brittle. But that's only as long as it's cold. Cryo temps are (I believe) anything below -150F. They just throw it in a tank of liquid N2. I work in a cryo shop on CVN-72. Fun stuff to play with.

What do they need a "cryo shop" on an aircraft carrier for?
If you don't mind my asking...sounds interesting.

Back