• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting the range fork shaft - PORC SYE kit

bcsavage

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else had to do this with the SYE from PORC? I originaly thought I was hung up on getting the gears on the shaft but forgot about the bearings needing to be tapped out. So while I'm on the phone with the guy he says "measure your range fork shaft" so I do, tell him it's 10-1/4" he says "so you're gonna have to cut that down to 9-3/8" or it won't shift and you do not want to have to do this all over again". So I stick it in the bandsaw and walk away for a few minutes. Come back and barely a nick has been cut. Hard stuff, so I'm taking it to work to finish the job. Maybe something they should throw into the instructions in future kits. Still though, great customer service there. Going to try and amass most of the build parts from them just because I have never had/heard anything bad and every other company out there has someone whining about them on a daily basis around here lol.

Just installed a AA Hd sye in a 91 YJ couple weeks ago. I used a 4 1/2 grinder and cutoff wheel.

my grinder no worky. I don't remember seeing that part in the instructions, I'll have to look again. No biggy though. Did you taper the end at all? Not like original where it needs the angled tip, but like a chamfer on the end?

On my low budget SYE design, you have to lop off the shaft if your TC had a vacuum switch. If it did not, the shaft is already short. Just knock off the sharp transition where you hack it off so that it will not hang up and gall the aluminum.

old_man said:
On my low budget SYE design, you have to lop off the shaft if your TC had a vacuum switch. If it did not, the shaft is already short. Just knock off the sharp transition where you hack it off so that it will not hang up and gall the aluminum.

does have the vac disco. So that's what I was thinking to, just a basic de-burr to keep it from binding/scraping. Good call.

Did not need to cut mine. i had 3/16 left to spare.

old_man said:
On my low budget SYE design, you have to lop off the shaft if your TC had a vacuum switch. If it did not, the shaft is already short.

x2

I had to trim mine as well, I just rounded the edges a little so it didn't get caught on anything.

bcsavage said:
So I stick it in the bandsaw and walk away for a few minutes. Come back and barely a nick has been cut. Hard stuff, so I'm taking it to work to finish the job

it took me awhile and a few blades but i cut mine w/ a hacksaw....

Did a few....last one I had to hack....did it on a bandsaw with no problems. I don't remember it being that hard. Chamfered the end with a bench sander. Think I cut off around a 1 1/16th". I did a dry run with the output cover and checked clearance with the plug.

-Ron

mine got done tonight with a 4" grinder and then put it on the lathe to turn it down to within a half-thou of 9.38". Chamfered the end just a CH and hit the whole thing with a scotchbrite pad to polish it up. too tired for a pic, but you all know what I had to do.

This forum is great !

I'm having trouble to shift the TC after the SYE installation :cry:

I was lazy and had someone else did the install :explosion :sad1:

I'm 99% sure they did not cut the shift fork range even after taking down the TC twice :banghead:

This is easy enough for me to do at night after work :greensmok

gdl90xj said:
This forum is great !

I'm having trouble to shift the TC after the SYE installation :cry:

I was lazy and had someone else did the install :explosion :sad1:

I'm 99% sure they did not cut the shift fork range even after taking down the TC twice :banghead:

This is easy enough for me to do at night after work :greensmok

you will have to pull the c- clip off the rear housing and then the cover, be carefull of the oiler, then cut it, it should be pertruding 1" out of the casing in order for it to shift properly,

whitetrashxj said:
you will have to pull the c- clip off the rear housing and then the cover, be carefull of the oiler, then cut it, it should be pertruding 1" out of the casing in order for it to shift properly,

OK! thanks for the comments

I beleive to remove the tailhousing I need to remove the yoke and the bolts holding the housing no c-clip :confused:

the cclip is in the original tailhousing

I think ... if not then I'll remove the c-clip

Back