• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Control Unit under rear seat

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
I have a 1990 Limited and u got stuck in the steam today... opened the front door and wanter came in... not much but enough to get the brake control unit under the rear seat wet...

I already cut the anti-lock brake lines out...

I vacuumed out the carpet and it it drying... is the brake control unit going to be ok? the fuse for the anti lockbrakes didnt blow. the brakes worked fine all the way home... Do I need the Brake control unit if the anti lock brakes are disconnected?

Thanks for the help...

Ken

anyone?

To my knowledge, the unit under your back seat is the ABS computer (for the Bendix-9 or -10 system). If you already cut the ABS lines, ABS is not functional on your car anymore. In that case, the only thing that the ABS computer does, is monitor the pressure in the combined ABS/brake system and switch on the amber/red warning lights if applicable.

In other words, even if the ABS computer breaks down completely, your brakes will still function, but you don't have the warning lights anymore.

You can drive the car (safely) even without the ABS computer: I have done that for a short while when I was experiencing ABS problems.

Have a look at http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf30232.htm for a description of the system.

They've pretty much covered it.

Now that you've disabled it, I'd recommend converting to a conventional system. That old ABS system derives normal power assist braking out of the same bunch of electric pumps as ABS braking - there is no backup. . . There are a handfull of fuses for the ABS system one of which if blown or pulled = no brakes once the accumulated pressure is lost.

Thank you very much for your replies... I have noticed that the Brake compressor still works. It has been drying out for a day now and and seems to be working now... (Meaming the A/L check light is off now)... I'll keep it in just for the warning lights... but its nice to know i can take it out if i need to...

again, Thank you both for your replies...

I traced and lightend awhile back rerunning all the wire from the firewall back in 1/4 inch liquid condiut. seen that the box was just there, i un plugged it. Didnt see any differance so i tossed it lol. Havent looked back yet. I have a 93 xj

Back