• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black Stell Wheels

Re: Black Steel Wheels

I don't think Cragar has the 5.5" backspace you're looking for in that size/style. There are some Cragar D-window (Series 342) black steel wheels 15X8, 5X4.5" bolt circle, with a 4.75" backspace. If you need more BS in that size, you might need to use wheel spacers. Try www.summitracing.com

They have GOOD prices!

Factory BS is 5.25" You are looking for 1/4" more? My question is: 1- Why? 2- Find some used nice alloy factory ones w/ 5.25" 3- Just get 4.5" BS which will allow a larger tire later and look better.

I didn't see your Rochester address. You might want to steer away from the steel wheels due to the "Rust Belt" location. I'm from Utica and went to R.I.T. and the road salt WILL destroy the paint in no time. Wax em up real good before you mount them will help.

Re: Black Steel Wheels

Nix my previous idea on wheel spacers... I was thinking backwards... Only if U wanted a lot less BS, would you possibly need wheel spacers. Less BS = potential for wider tires --check-- so U shouldn't need 5.5" BS, as "aplatz" states.

On the Rochester salt belt issue... everything corrodes up here... including aluminum alloy wheels. The salt gets under the clearcoat and U get "white corrosion" (aka aluminum oxide) that wrecks the finish. At least with the steel ones, you're not wasting as much $$$ when U have to replace them ~5 years from now...

Last edited:
I actually redid my corroded aluminum 5 spoke wheels. If you have an orbital air sander, and some paint lifter (approved for clear cote), as long as you have a simple spoke design you can have them come out looking great. I started off with 140 grit and finished with around 900. As long as you don't use the aluminum rims in the winter, you can keep them for the life of the jeep, and besides, I kind of like the 5 spoke style rims I have, I think they suit the look of an XJ better than most after market wheels, unless you want to run big tires and a lift kit.

the reason why i am looking for a 15x8 d-window black steel wheels with 5.5 bs is because i saw a 2001 xj sport with a ravine wheel and a 30x9.5 tires and looks great. my idea is to have a the same size as the ravine wheels but black steel wheel. based on my research, the ravine and canyon 15x8 have 5.5 backspacing.

i have a stock suspension. i just a pic of 2001 xj sport with ravine wheels and 30x9.5 on stock suspension and looks good.

Back