• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake/clutch pedal question concerning cruise control

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I drive a '92 w/manual transmissions and cruise control. I'm curious if I can put a switch on the clutch pedal like the one on the brake pedal that will disable the cruise simply by pressing the clutch, instead of having to hit the brake then clutch. Or perhaps I already have one that isn't working properly? Thanks.

Not sure if there's supposed to one from the factory, but I'm sure you could easily adapt it.

Take another brake light switch and figure out a way to mount it behind the clutch pedal.

Take one of the lines from the newly installed clutch pedal switch and tap into the correct wire in the brake light switch that sends the signal to disengage the cruise.

An FSM would be tremendously helpful with this.

On a manual with cruise there should already be a clutch switch.

Is your cruise OEM or aftermarket?

why are you pushing the clutch in to slow down, thats what the brakes are for.
I'd bet he's using the clutch pedal to downshift (as was just said) and doesn't like the way the engine heads straight for the rev limiter when he shifts without tapping the brakes first to turn off cruise :scared:

Sometimes I'm downshifting, like when I reach a bridge or want to pass on the highway. Other times I'm just putting it in neutral so I can coast to my stop/turn to save gas.

i can see to down shift, but for the past 25 years of driving a manual trans, i use the brakes before i push in the clutch to slow down.

when my dad taught me how to drive stick, he insisted that you never push the clutch in to coast, you use the clutch to change gears and when in gear at a stop. it just stuck with me not to push in the clutch to coast.

i can see to down shift, but for the past 25 years of driving a manual trans, i use the brakes before i push in the clutch to slow down.

Differences here have to do with driving style.

I see traffic slowing down far ahead of me on the highway (where cruise control is normally used) so I have plenty of time to slow down since I leave plenty of distance between myself and the guy in front of me. No need to apply brakes that early, just downshift and start engine braking early.

By the time I come close enough to need the brakes I'm down to about 10-15 mph and barely use them at all. Normally traffic picks back up before I even reach it so I never even need the brakes.

I see traffic slowing down far ahead of me on the highway (where cruise control is normally used) so I have plenty of time to slow down since I leave plenty of distance between myself and the guy in front of me. No need to apply brakes that early, just downshift and start engine braking early.

By the time I come close enough to need the brakes I'm down to about 10-15 mph and barely use them at all. Normally traffic picks back up before I even reach it so I never even need the brakes.

i drive/downshift that way also(especially fun in my 89 with 4.10, 4.0, and 31's), but either way, i dont push the clutch in, throw the shifter into neutral, and coast until i come to a stop.

with a manual transmission, i always drive with the transmission under power(downshhifting or just appling the brakes) and do not coast.

...he insisted that you never push the clutch in to coast...
I'm just pushing the clutch to get it to neutral, not coasting with the clutch engaged. I know when driving in the mountains it is illegal to coast in neutral, but I'm in flat Florida and can generally see pretty far down the road.

Same here, except that I'm usually coasting in neutral rather than engine braking so I can coast a bit further and save some gas.

I'm just pushing the clutch to get it to neutral, not coasting with the clutch engaged. I know when driving in the mountains it is illegal to coast in neutral, but I'm in flat Florida and can generally see pretty far down the road.

Same here, except that I'm usually coasting in neutral rather than engine braking so I can coast a bit further and save some gas.

is there any proof that coasting saves gas? and if it does, how much does it save?

other then me not liking to coast, i heard it was bad for the top end because of oil starvation when coasting at high speeds. not enough pressure to get the oil to the top end because at high speeds there is more resistance for the oil to flow and the oil get pushed back away from the sump and the pump.?:dunno:

Yep--I replace my own brakes about 1/3 as often as I have to replace the brakes in my Wife's cars. In town, highway, whatever, she is on the throttle right up to applying the brakes. I watch the road/lights/cars/people ahead and will back out of the accelerator ahead of time.

Watch commercial truck drivers--they will anticipate a light that has been green for a while and slow down, then if the light stays green at the too-late-to-stop moment they romp on it.

is there any proof that coasting saves gas? and if it does, how much does it save?

other then me not liking to coast, i heard it was bad for the top end because of oil starvation when coasting at high speeds. not enough pressure to get the oil to the top end because at high speeds there is more resistance for the oil to flow and the oil get pushed back away from the sump and the pump.?:dunno:
I see no reason why speed has anything to do with oil starvation at idle...when coasting, your engine is idling. Therefore, oil should get throughout it the same as when sitting still at idle.

Coasting would theoretically save gas based on the fact that any distance traveled while coasting is being traveled at idle. You use less gas at idle than under load at 2000rpms. I've never tested the theory, but used to coast down hill and on when wanting to slow just a little while approaching traffic or a light.

Back