• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First post My First XJ!!!

Señor Juan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Good morning and thanks for the Add.

Just wanted to introduce myself! I’m John and I just bought my first XJ last week up in LA. It’s a pretty solid little machine so far but could use a fair amount of TLC. I look forward to learning a ton about these vehicles but have never done any appreciable work on them. I come from a background of enduro riding as well as romping around in a little lifted WRX all around imperial county but have never been able to tackle some really rocky segments until now.

I look forward to maybe meeting up with some of you in the future and talk about Jeeps!

She may not be the prettiest but I’m super proud of her and can’t wait to start exploring more and setting it up for some fun desert/mountain adventures.

c150257e5bf5111b93fd8230c68e0eb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site You can't go wrong with a Jeep

Thanks guys ! I don’t think it has much in terms or Renix stuff anymore. The previous owner swapped out the motor, cooling system and emission from a 93 XJ. But originally it was an 89’. It is my understanding from “donut media” that AMC had designed the body style but Renix had made a lot of the electronics and motor ?

Welcome!!

Renix would have been the original engine controls/computer. Having been swapped over to '93 parts would make it an H.O. configuration.

The block is the same either way.

Having originally been a Renix and now being converted to H.O. you may have some fun with the smog certification. Make sure you have a working "Check Engine" light. I don't think Renix systems had one, but an H.O. system will be expected to have one. Unless you can convince the smog tech that it is still a Renix.

ETA: I see you are already having fun with smog, but at least not over a CEL. Hopefully you can find someone with an early H.O. who can help you figure out the routing of those evap lines. You may want to invest in a Factory Service Manual (often abbreviated FSM) for a '93 XJ. Although there may be some things pertinent to an '89 that could differ. Look at ebay for old FSMs. Having an XJ will give you lots of opportunity for fixing things.

Last edited:
Thanks Anak !

I saw the CEL working because I had to reinstall a Speedo sensor and prior to, the CEL was on.

Yeah and the smog issues are my first hurdle. I didn’t mention,because I thought it was aside from my posts point, but the other issue I had at the smog station was that the catalytic converter failed as a “tampered” part. I’m guessing the last time the previous owner smogged it, the smog tech either didn’t notice or decided to let it slide but the current smog station is claiming that the current cat is not CA compliant so I’ve needed to source a new Approved one and have to get it installed before I run it back.

I guess some would call these headaches but it’s my excuse to get out to the garage and out of the house. I’ll find a FSM for a 93’ thanks for the advise. The previous owner did a lot of little jimmy rigged “fixes”and I have a lot of spaghetti wire and lines through the vehicle but it just requires me to fully understand what does what now instead of being able to simply rely on one or 2 manuals. Either way I’m looking forward to the project !

Just expect a few more questions to be presented to this forum in the near future haha I’m sure I’ll come across a lot of head scratchers.

Thanks
John

Yeah and the smog issues are my first hurdle. I didn’t mention,because I thought it was aside from my posts point, but the other issue I had at the smog station was that the catalytic converter failed as a “tampered” part. I’m guessing the last time the previous owner smogged it, the smog tech either didn’t notice or decided to let it slide but the current smog station is claiming that the current cat is not CA compliant so I’ve needed to source a new Approved one and have to get it installed before I run it back.

I went through what was probably the very same hassle the first time I had to smog my XJ in Kali. It had a perfectly functional cat, but wouldn't pass because it didn't have the right stamp on it. They even admitted it used to be just fine, but unless I had the paperwork for its installation by a professional exhaust shop with a date reflecting installation when it was legal they wouldn't pass it. Add that to the many reasons I no longer reside in Kali.

I think you will find the FSM to be a worthwhile investment. I saw in your photos an inkling of the various items which are not hooked up. Depending on your goals you may have quite a bit of work ahead of you. OTOH, you have a great opportunity to learn a bunch. If your goal is to get out into the garage you have the right vehicle. Good tools are going to be the next thing you need.

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to NAXJA. I think you'll think this group a wealth of information.

You should consider joining as a Red letter member. For $35 a year, you can access a few other threads, help keep the lights on this website, and help us support land use causes. Perfect timing, as March is our membership drives, and as always, there will be some really cool prizes.

David Bricker / SYR

Well thank you guys very much for all the help and the welcome! This seems to be a great group. I’ll keep up to date on all the local gatherings If possible, I know it’s kind of difficult these days having to wear masks and all but still hope to meet some of you in person and tag along on some adventures. I’ll take a look at the upgraded membership as well.

Thank you
John

Like David said, March is the month. So wait a few days. Then when you join it counts for the chapter in competition with the other chapters (there will be a prize for the chapter with the highest percentage of renewals/new members).

Last edited:
I went through what was probably the very same hassle the first time I had to smog my XJ in Kali. It had a perfectly functional cat, but wouldn't pass because it didn't have the right stamp on it. They even admitted it used to be just fine, but unless I had the paperwork for its installation by a professional exhaust shop with a date reflecting installation when it was legal they wouldn't pass it. Add that to the many reasons I no longer reside in Kali.

Enjoy the ride.

I'm going through that right now with my truck.

Back