• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCU Location

dzrtrataz said:
Does anyone no where the AW4 TCU is located in a 97 Cherokee.

Thanks
Did you look under the passenger side dash? That is where they usually are.

Fuse panel should be on Drivers side and the TCU should be behind the glove box unless someone has altered the original locations.

If you disconnect this and run the vehicle, then reconnect, does it reset the TCU? If so, do you have to drive it a certain way afterwards, my Jeep keeps having issues when its in the "1-2" position (back when it clicked in before thie NSS crap) and it would go to first gear at 40mph, and "fry" the torque converter on the way...Anyone have any thoughts other than dont do it?

Alrite because my Jeep keeps shifting erradically between 1st and 2nd in the 1-2 position. From what it used to be like it would stay in first from a stop till redlin-ish before shifting, then stay in second till rev limiter and then downshift from 2nd to 1st at about 25mph. But now it does all sorts of things...maybe I could reset the ECU?

BBeach said:
Alrite because my Jeep keeps shifting erradically between 1st and 2nd in the 1-2 position. From what it used to be like it would stay in first from a stop till redlin-ish before shifting, then stay in second till rev limiter and then downshift from 2nd to 1st at about 25mph. But now it does all sorts of things...maybe I could reset the ECU?

In the 1-2 position mine never shifts into second, but then I have never pushed it past 3500 rpm in 1-2.

I was reading something about Chrysler techs training the AW4 computer when it is replaced or reinstalled with a specific driving, gear, speed procedure. It was in the AW4 FSM. Think I found it at 4x4pirate or madxj's site.

Send me a pm, email address if you cant find the fsm. I have a copy.

there is a way to wire it where it will stay in 1st until you shift it out. I'm not sure how....someone else chime in please.

Back