• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to the Renault turbo diesel engine 1985

nomadix

NAXJA Forum User
hello y'all

new guy here
desert southwest

just came upon an 85 jeep xj with factory Renault 2.1l turbo diesel.

Anyone familiar with this machine- where to look for engine parts

please and thanks

Peace:

nomadix said:
hello y'all

new guy here
desert southwest

just came upon an 85 jeep xj with factory Renault 2.1l turbo diesel.

Anyone familiar with this machine- where to look for engine parts

please and thanks

Peace:
Not to common in the US most were export good luck finding any parts in the US.

thanx w_howey:

i heard of this place already. Already i have been in contact with with someone who loves this truck and raves abouth the motor- I wonder if is like anything French- you have to take a french attitude to goad into good service- i have heard much about Peugeot diesel being one of the best diesels of the mid 80's
Dunno- suppose it is a matter of taste

Hi, I'm owning 5 XJ equipped with renault 2.1 litres J8s-814 ....
Most of the components can be bought direct from renault also if the jeep isn't anymore distributed by them in europe. This engine is still used on a small van "traffic" and "espace" (J8s-890), with minor changes.
Be sure to check the vacuum pump for leak, most of the fault of this engine straight derived by a diagraph leak, if there is a leak the pump suck the oil from the engine and introduced it to the intake then ka-boom! you destroy the engine.
To be sure, disconnect the oil vapor recover from the intake.
Here there is a site plenty of info, unfortunatelly in italian:
http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/

P.S. if you you have any question feel free to pm

Last edited:
Wow, 5 diesel XJs, you must have a lot of experience with them.

Unfortuneately, you may not realise that unlike in Europe, it is very rare in America to own a diesel powered passenger vehicle. Most everything is gasoline. Diesel never became popular here. Walk into a jeep dealership youre likely to get blank expressions if you ask for diesel parts. Here, we don't depend as much on dealerships for parts or service after the warranty expires anyway, but nearly all of our XJs have the 4.0 straight 6 or 4 cylinder gasoline engines.

There are also very, very few Renault cars on the road. Renault was never popular to begin with and they abandoned the U.S. market in the late 80s, so NO Renault dealerships exist (they do have some in Mexico though).

Needless to say, finding parts is going to be a challenge, but I guess its possible to get them. Do you understand the problems with owning a diesel xj here? It would be like owning a Dodge Power Wagon pickup with a V8 in Italy. I know you have some, but it would be rare.

Thanks for sharing the advise about eating its own oil, I'm sure the diesel xj owners (there are a few of them around here) will appreciate it.

Yeah I understand what you mean!!
Also here we have problems with some components for the 2.1 renault, in fact the version 814 was modified to fit the XJ (oil filter/cooling system, oil pump, intake, vacuum system, intercooler, etc..) and now renault doesn't support it anymore since them has stop to distribute jeep in europe, by the way also chrysler (the current jeep distributor in Italy) doesn't supply any spare part for renault engine.
Sometimes is easier to find parts for 4.0L H.O. then renault!!
For example to repair the vacum diagraph I'd created a shell then home made it with kevlar and silicone rubber; otherwise was needed to install the complete system of the 890 that cost about 700$!!
Renault has a web site (with very nice exploded view of the engine)to order spare parts online, you just make a registration (a VAT nr. is required them don't sell to private) then you can order direct from them, I've the address at home I shall post asap.

P.S. 2 of 5 XJ whelling the other 3 are spare parts!!

Last edited:
grazie tanto marcoleo.

A good chance to improve my italian- I will PM my questions to you on this diaphram issue
I understand parts will be difficult - as I spoke with someone in Portugal he claims parts are plentiful and cheap there

Hey nomadix, it was kind of slow this afternoon at NAPA where I work so I decided to do you a favor and look up some of the parts for diesel XJ. I imagine the you have got some blank expressions from parts counterpeople before, when you said "no, its the diesel model"
Here are some parts numbers you can use at NAPA for common stuff, give them the number they should be able to get the right part.

Oil Filter-----21625 (silver)----1626 (gold premium)
Fuel Filter--------------------3136
Carbon canister elements-----2998
Oil fill cap--------------------7031366
Oil drain plug-----------------7041360
Rebuilt Injectors--------------217067 or 217667
Rebuilt Pump Assy.------------614000
Fuel Cap----------------------7031231
Clutch------------------------6456 or (mu461)
Idiler Pulley-------------------38038
Napa Belts & Hose:
259380---------Alt.
257270---------Alt. & A/C
257330 ---------Power Steering
FF186 or 772----Upper hose
Heater----------H112
Bottom- use flexible spiral wire hose.

Keep in mind these may be subject to error. I found a listing today for "spark plug wires" for the 2.1 TD engine. I looked on the computer, there are a couple of other parts I was going to look in the paper catalogue (like thermostat) when I've got the time. Ironically, we had a lot of these parts in stock today.

Let me know if you want me to lookup a part.

Last edited:
hey bajacalal;

Right on dude- i was just thinkin about askin someone about what filters and such. Thanks a bunch

my focus is going to be the most basic on the foreign diesels- injector pump- which I believe it to be electronic bosch- and expensive to rebuild and calibrate- and vacuum pump- so what do you have on a vacuum pump - if there is a rebuild for this

interesting you would have parts for this as I believe this diesel was not allowed in Cali- i see from an original window sticker - 1985 this vehicle had 49 state useage- I just assume Cali is the state not willing - though how many Mercedes diesel 917 engines were sold in So Cal alone
peace bro

hey bajacalal;

Right on dude- i was just thinkin about askin someone about what filters and such. Thanks a bunch

my focus is going to be the most basic on the foreign diesels- injector pump- which I believe it to be electronic bosch- and expensive to rebuild and calibrate- and vacuum pump- so what do you have on a vacuum pump - if there is a rebuild for this

interesting you would have parts for this as I believe this diesel was not allowed in Cali- i see from an original window sticker - 1985 this vehicle had 49 state useage- I just assume Cali is the state not willing - though how many Mercedes diesel 917 engines were sold in So Cal alone
peace bro

well i am putting my 2.1 in next week and i am looking for an intercooler mine is rotted plus a little damage what else wil swap??????
dave
email me directly
i have access to some parts!

indydave:

Occasionally I see an intercooler- Ebay is a good place to look for them.

As do not have the vehicle yet I do not know the size of the intercooler

If you like take a some fotos and take dimensions and pass them on to me - I may run across one that will fit soon

pm me with fotos and diemntions- please to take a foto of the intercooler installed in vehicle if you can - so I can see placement
and let talk parts

I just placed an order for a factory manual - got an email back saying they were out of stock on this - dont know if I should hold my breath if the get more stock

have a nice holiday
Peace

Nomadix:

I could not find the vacuum pump for the Renault 2.1 diesel engine. I don't think thats an item NAPA (at least here) can hook you up with. You may try that mentioned company that sells LeSharo RV parts (same engine). Or a rare parts supplier (can give you 800#) The injection pump was about $650 its rebuilt. Who rebuilt it, I don't know.

About the vehicle not originally sold in California:

Our catalogues are pretty comprehensive, the information is provided by the parts manufacturers, not collected locally. So, the catalogues (& TAMS computer) often lists parts for different model requirements of the same vehicle including California, federal and Canadian emissions. And, in the case of the XJ, much to my surprise, parts specific to EXPORT models are listed.

I don't know why we would have so much in stock though (basically everything except pump and injectors) they aren't common but yes we definetly have non-California parts, how many "Californians" do you know that aren't really from here.

bajacalal:

thanks again for checking. I am a little experienced with this injector pump- It is Bosch and I believe the same as the one BMW/Lincoln used on the 2.4 turbo diesel. I can get a rebuild kit for this but having it calibrated will be another story

I have heard from people that cali is difficult to get a diesel into now- as is Arizona- they now have emmission tests for diesels - before 85 is exempt -

thanks again
have a nice holiday

peace

Nomadix are you sure that its the same pump as the BMW 524 td (I'd like one BTW) that BMW motor is 6 cylinder and the 2.1 has 4 so theres an obvious difference in the selector valve portion of that assembly, right?

I was wondering the same thing, are any parts like the injection pump and vacuum pump shared by other cars. If so, then I can cross reference these parts more easily. Would the Peugeot 2.5l 4cyl TD used in 505 sedans (another car I'm interested in due to the high fuel prices) be a good cantidate for having the same parts?

bajacalal said:
Would the Peugeot 2.5l 4cyl TD used in 505 sedans (another car I'm interested in due to the high fuel prices) be a good cantidate for having the same parts?

From what I remember (and it's been a while since I've had a turbodiesel Pug, so I may be off), they aren't interchangeable - the Peugeot 2.5TD and Renault 2.1 were entirely different engines. Some items can be swapped between vehicles with the PRV (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) gas V6, but even then there's not much that just swaps straight across. From what I remember, though, the diesels are completely non-interchangeable.

FWIW, the Peugeot 2.5TD may be a good candidate to swap out the Renault lump for. At least Peugeot parts are more available than Renault ones.

Back