• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on used 1989 Laredo

Marc

NAXJA Forum User
I just went to look at a 1989 Laredo. 4.0, 4x4, towing package, power seats, locks and windows with 170,000 miles. The cooling system is currently ripped apart and the guy who has it thinks the compression is bad in the 2 cylinders closest to the firewall. The tranny fluid looks and smells good. It has a funky moonroof with a odd shape to it and a dial of some type. The rear seal is bad and the only body damage is the rear bumper was hit and it rubs the hatch on the rectangular bumper guard. He wants 500.

He bought it from a microsoft soccer mom and is in over his head, knows nothing about xj's, he cut cooling lines to get to the plugs to check compression. He tested it with a rubber hose compression setup, not a screw in. I will check with the soccer mom about possible problems before purchasing. What do you guys think?

I currently have an 89 Limited with 210,000, 60k of which are mine. I paid 3,400 for it and it only had 20k fewer miles and no tow package or whatever the roof thing is in this. I am debating whether to put all the new parts from mine in the laredo or use it as a third vehicle. I just bought a 1960 Cadillac 4 door 4 window "Flattop" deVille for my wife.

forgot to mention, no rust

nmsg

That sounds like the factory sun roof -- back then the OEM sunroof used a round knob (about 2-1/2" to 3" dia) to open to panel.

Push-on compression testers are extremely unreliable. You are wise to recheck. Sounds to me like the vehicle has to worth 500 clams. Even if it costs you another $500 to get it right, an '89 Laredo is probably worth $2500 to $3000 in good condition.

GET IT!! $500?!?!? wheres the debate! There is soo much potential there for a meer 550 buck investment. oh if only i would have found it. TRAIL RIG BABY!!!

Thanx for all the input

Thanx for all the input. It looks like I will be going from 1 xj to 2 xj's and a caddy on friday.

Only as parts...or 4 wheeling

My opinion? This Jeep is good for parts, assuming that the running gear is good. Try and get him down to 400, than it'll be worth buying. But if you have a bad engine, body damage, cooling system apart, ect, it's probably going to be a headache.

cherokeekid95 said:
GET IT!! $500?!?!? wheres the debate! There is soo much potential there for a meer 550 buck investment. oh if only i would have found it. TRAIL RIG BABY!!!

If you want a trail rig, there's a guy in northern Connecticut trying to sell a running '89 Pioneer 4.0L for $250. Body isn't pristine but he says it runs well. He doesn't want to part it out because it runs -- hit me with a PM if you want his number.

Let's see - I have an 88 Laredo with aftermarket sunroof (glued shut with RTV Black until I can pull it) a mildly bent rear bumper, assorted interior work needed, and 228K on the clock. I think I checked it recently in the KBB and it came up around $2k, so I'm not complainint (nor am I complaining about the payment - $68/mo!)

I'd buy it - even if it were destined as a project or donor truck. Guaranteed I'd get my money back out of it.

If you want, the West Coast Wayward XJ Home has openings here in San Jose (read: I wouldn't mind if you bought it and gave it to me!)

5-90

Back