• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Need HElP

308turbo

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92 XJ got it with a blow up NP242....Got a NP242 from the junkyard..Afetr i took the old one out i realized that the rear cone cast cover that the speedo goes into is different....

The one that came out covers where the rear drive shaft goes into....

The New one has the shaft with the spines on it out in the open and there nowhere to even bolt the tiny cone peice on....

My question is Do i need the cover???? i pretty sure i do

Other question can i swap the one from the other If so whats all involed in doing so

thanks for all the help
Robbie

It sounds like the 242 you got from the Junkyard is a late model, they didn't have a tailshaft cone, just a seal on the speedo housing. YOu shouldn't need the cone part. Just bolt it up and run the d/s.I believe that the input splines should mathc, I forgot when they changed from 21 to 23.

the spines match because i checked that i just wasnt sure if i really needed that or not.....sick then i can put this B*tch back together tommorrow .....wat do you mean by run the D/S????

thanks alot
robbie

d/s = driveshaft

Back