• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SierraFest Rubicon Trip Report

Letterman

NAXJA Forum User
Great trip, just heard everyone in our group is back on pavement. 10 people in 9 rigs with 5 going all the way to Tahoe side and 4 turning back at buck and going back out Loon.

Post up your stories and photos!

Oh and I broke this:
RubiconBreak4.jpg

Thanks to everyone who came to the Rubicon. What a great trip. I think everyone should be off the trail by now.

Thanks to Eric for finishing the trail with the rest of the group.

I had a great time. Only took a few pics of people and the places we went. Hopefully I will post up my pics soon.

What an amazing run! Wish I could have stayed for the Deer Valley portion of the trip too, but I'm glad I at least had the opportunity to check the Rubicon Trail off my "To Do" list. It exceeded my expectations in so many ways. The scenery, the obstacles, the hiking, and even the weather all seemed perfect to me. The NAXJA folks were of course a pleasure to hang out with as always.

The Jeep sustained some minor damage along the way. I picked up a little souvenir on the driver side rear quarter at Big Sluice, but nothing that will prevent the ol' XJ from continuing with her daily driver duties. One of my front fenders also got a little chewed up by my tire after my passenger side bump stop failed. Can't blame that one on the trail though.

Got back home a little after 8pm last night after stopping to have dinner with an old college buddy in Folsom. Showered up and spent some time with the family. Got a good night's sleep and now I'm back at work for the next 48 hours. I'll provide a more thorough report (with pics) when I get home from work, but that won't be until at least Sunday...

Seven days and nights of wheeling, complete.

I arrived at the Loon Lake spillway about 5:30pm last Sunday. Met up with Letterman and Bryan C for a little night wheeling and photography lessons from both. I found out that shadows make four foot plus drops look a little smaller.
Only decent pic of Sunday night.
IMG_3457.jpg

Set up a quick camp at the Gate Keeper for a few hours sleep upon return from the bowl.
IMG_3466.jpg

Met up with Eric (EricsXJ), Tony (fyrfytr1717), Mike (Ocean_Jet), Art (sdspearo), Phil and Opie Monday morning and headed up the Granite Bowl.
IMG_3477.jpg

Bryan picks a harder line.
IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

Mike, Jazzy and Dave take in the view.
IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Dave working on the broken pitman arm.
IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

Taking in the scenery while we had down time.
IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

To be continued.........

Last edited:
Along the trail....
IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

The buggies represent.
100_5544.jpg

100_5547.jpg

100_5549.jpg

100_5551.jpg

More coming.....

The Soup bowl!
IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

More to come....

Great trip! Thanks to Bryan and Letterman for putting this together. It was great meeting everyone.
My highlights of the trip:
- The potluck dinners (I never ate so good camping)
- The hike to Rubicon Lake and the perfect ending at the waterfalls
- Not flopping my rig (my biggest worry before the trip)
- Safely making it up Cadillac hill alone (I left early Thursday morning before the others)

Here's a link to my PhotoBucket album (99 photos and 8 videos):

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r145/sdspearo/Jeep%20stuff/Rubicon%208_11/

Click on "view as slide show", videos are at the end of the album, last page.

Art

Great trip! Thanks to Bryan and Letterman for putting this together. It was great meeting everyone.
My highlights of the trip:
- The potluck dinners (I never ate so good camping)
- The hike to Rubicon Lake and the perfect ending at the waterfalls
- Not flopping my rig (my biggest worry before the trip)
- Safely making it up Cadillac hill alone (I left early Thursday morning before the others)

Here's a link to my PhotoBucket album (99 photos and 8 videos):

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r145/sdspearo/Jeep stuff/Rubicon 8_11/

Click on "view as slide show", videos are at the end of the album, last page.

Art

Wow, You got some great pic's. Thanks...

Back