• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thread size

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, is the thread size on a Cherokee is the same as a Wrangler? 1/2 or 3/4? The reason I ask is because at the McGard site says both sizes fits. McGard=1/2, and the OEM=3/4. That is a big difference in terms of measurements isn't it? I need to have a replacements for my some of lugnuts with McGard locks. I met a guy selling his locks, says that fits wranglers so he is pretty sure it will fit Cherokees too, are they exactly the same in terms of thread size? More importantly... will it fit w/o damage or cross threading? thanks in advance! :viking:

Are you refering to lug nuts? If so they should be the same thread, they do have the same axles! D30 and D35! Mine are 1/2-20 by the way.

duh! :doh: Yah, I forgot to mention lugnuts. so it will fit from either Wranglers or Cherokees? thanks for the response! :viking: My axles are 8.25, for a 2000 XJ, does it matter?

Last edited:
My 88 XJ uses 1/2-20 nuts on the lugs. I would think they would still be English units vs say a 12 mm but who knows any more. Why don't pull off a lug nut, go to your local hardware store/homecenter and do a test. See if you can get a fine thread 1/2 bolt to thread into your lug nut. Or you could buy a 1/2-20 nut and see if it will thread onto one of your wheel studs.

Just so you know 1/2-13 is course thread, 1/2-20 is fine thread. The -XX number means "threads per inch", so course has 13 per inch, fine has 20 per inch. If you are dealing with metric fasteners the -1.5 of M8-1.5 tells you each thread is spaced 1.5 mm apart.

There is also confusion out there, some people think the "bolt size" is the size wrench/socket used to tighten the nut. I use a 3/4 inch socket to tighten my 1/2 inch lug nuts. Hope that helps.

All XJ lugs are 1/2-20 SAE threads. As Martin noted, the stock lug nuts use a 3/4" socket, whereas most aftermarket lug nuts take a 13/16" socket.

1/2-20 and they fit YJ's, TJ's and XJ's, I know I just did all three of ours last month and our YJ last summer. We don't use the locks so I got a bunch of extra locks now, 20 of them if anybody wants 20 locking lug nuts... Be hilarious taking THAT into a tire shop... Ticks me off that nobody sells just 1/2-20's loose I DON"T WANT THE FRIGGIN LOCKS....
Even the rotors and calipers are interchangeable between the TJ and XJ, least on our 97TJ's and 98XJ...

RichP said:
Ticks me off that nobody sells just 1/2-20's loose
We had several bins of various size lugnuts at the Camp Pendleton Auto Hobby Shop back in 95-97, however they were behind the counter so you had to ask about them. Check some of your local small auto parts stores.

I got mine loose at Autozone. Alot cheaper than the pre packed ones. HTH. JIM.

I found OEM-style lug buts at Pep Boys. Pep Boys get around $3 each, dealer gets about $10 for the exact same thing. In Pep Boys, go toward the back of the store and there's an aisle for Fasteners. Most of the stores have several black steel drawer units full of fasteners. One drawer unit has several drawers full of lug nuts and wheel studs.

Guys... thanks for the responses, that helped a lot, I will check my local auto parts store for the loose lug nuts if they have them. Never thought they might sell left over lug nuts... how do you suppose they have loose ones laying around anyways? I mean if selling by the set, it SHOULD fit the correct amount of lugnuts on a vehicle'sl lugs. shouldn't it?

By the way, I have heard that the OEM lug nuts should be replaced anyways for the crappy 2-piece design right? So any aftermarket lugnuts should be lots better. I don't mess with my lugnuts very often except I am about to replace my current set of stock OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires that is nearly 50k miles. :viking:

dogtired said:
Guys... thanks for the responses, that helped a lot, I will check my local auto parts store for the loose lug nuts if they have them. Never thought they might sell left over lug nuts... how do you suppose they have loose ones laying around anyways? I mean if selling by the set, it SHOULD fit the correct amount of lugnuts on a vehicle'sl lugs. shouldn't it?
Ummm....these were new, single pieces that we were talking about. Buy qty=20 of them, and you've got a full set. I wouldn't want someone else's leftover lugnuts anyway...although I suppose there's no mechanical reason to not use them, it just don't seem right in my book. Whatever you get, make sure they're approriate for your rims.

Jim

Yucca-Man said:
Ummm....these were new, single pieces that we were talking about. Buy qty=20 of them, and you've got a full set. I wouldn't want someone else's leftover lugnuts anyway...although I suppose there's no mechanical reason to not use them, it just don't seem right in my book. Whatever you get, make sure they're approriate for your rims.

Jim

thanks Jim,
hmmm, how much are they... in terms of the loose lugnuts we are talking about? McGards around here cost a pretty penny for the complete package set. I only see the other brand: "Rally" are they any good?

These rims that we are talking about are the Eccos: Columbia Edition, they are the dark gray instead of silver that they usually come in. They are from 2004 Wranglers. They match my black 2000 XJ very nicely. :clap:
:viking:

I have been wondering something, why are you installing wheel locks anyway? I take it you have insurance on your XJ so if your wheels are stolen they will be replaced.

I have used wheel locks over the years and it a real paint to have the key out and get them torqued correctly.

I purchased a 03 Buick Le Sabre with the 100th anniversary package. ON eof the things it came with was chromed aluminum wheels. Like you I thought I better get a set of wheel locks. I purchased a set and ask the parts guy what one rim would cost me, he told me the cost was $574 each... that $2296 for 4 new rims.

I went to my insurance agent to check on the coverage and asked if I would get a discount for installing the wheel locks. The agent told me "no". I told them the cost and they told me as long as they came with the car you are covered. They even offered to do make sure it was documented if they were non-stock wheels.

I concluded I was not gong to get a discount so why put the locks on, let the insurance company take all the risk and reduce my frustration.

I use to work in a part of St Louis where cars left of the shoulder of the interstate overnight would be found on blocks the next morning. Now that I live here that not a problem.

martin said:
I have been wondering something, why are you installing wheel locks anyway? I take it you have insurance on your XJ so if your wheels are stolen they will be replaced.

I have used wheel locks over the years and it a real paint to have the key out and get them torqued correctly.

I purchased a 03 Buick Le Sabre with the 100th anniversary package. ON eof the things it came with was chromed aluminum wheels. Like you I thought I better get a set of wheel locks. I purchased a set and ask the parts guy what one rim would cost me, he told me the cost was $574 each... that $2296 for 4 new rims.

I went to my insurance agent to check on the coverage and asked if I would get a discount for installing the wheel locks. The agent told me "no". I told them the cost and they told me as long as they came with the car you are covered. They even offered to do make sure it was documented if they were non-stock wheels.

I concluded I was not gong to get a discount so why put the locks on, let the insurance company take all the risk and reduce my frustration.

I use to work in a part of St Louis where cars left of the shoulder of the interstate overnight would be found on blocks the next morning. Now that I live here that not a problem.

Martin,

Your point is valid, but it is also the same idea as having a car alarm or even plain ole door locks for that matter... if they really want it, they will get it. I just want it as a deterrent for extra peace of mind, knowing that I did what I can to protect my ride. I guess it is a visual psychology that would hopefully swing in my favor to the would be theif that he hopefully will pass my vehicle for easier prey. Sure just about anything can be replaced... but you know what they say..."but an ounce of prevention"...etc. I mean how much more of a hassle is to put on a wheel lock, is it not the same as the other regular lug nuts? I don't have another set of dedicated rims and tires to go offroading or anything like that; the constant switching a set of rims and tires for DD vs a offroading use... now that would be a PITA.

Now I wished I had installed my car alarm as soon as I got my Jeep, that could have prevented my break in of my Jeep... reason is that I delayed (money issues) in installing the car alarm and therefore could have prevented my anguish with dealing with the insurance company. :bawl:

:viking:

Back