NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old September 30th, 2006, 08:31
NAXJA Forum User

Tesla...The car...not the hair band!

Whatcha think?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?&vid=c860df3ccf66c83fb61bb2ffd934330b.889183& cache=1
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Tesla...The car...not the hair band!

Well the car is zero emmissions but will increase the output the energy company has to match hence driving up the pollution from them. Car itself looks good. The 0-60 times sounds damn good.

Sarge
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

i like it.... good idea but 1. it sounds like an RC car 2. like what sarge said if everyone had one the electric company would have to pump out electricity which uses fossil fuel anyway!! but i guess there going more not to conserve gas but to save the environment which is good
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:06
NAXJA Forum User

I have been hearing quite a bit about this car lately. Too bad all their statistics aren't exactly right.

It will go 250 Miles per charge but only if you are only using 40% of its power output...which really slows it down.

Sorry but when the dude said electric cars will be the wave of the future I almost laughed.
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:21
NAXJA Forum User

the hair band rules.....electric cars are for liberal fuc$s
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:28
Admin and Member #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelms27
the hair band rules.....electric cars are for liberal fuc$s
Agreed. The band rocks. They are better than the car. I have a Tesla CD on my HDD. I have yet to be able to do that with a car.

(sorry, lame.. I know. But I like the band).

2001 4door XJ. 4.5 inch long arms, 33x12.50-15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's, Superchips Flashpaq, bigger throttle body, AFE cold air intake, Advanced Adapters SYE, and a ton of stuff still to do on this project!
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:19
NAXJA Forum User

Sexy little car, too bad it'll be a rich man's toy.

Anybody here find it funny that they act as if Lithium batteries are the greatest thing to hit the segment, but at the same time Li-Ion laptop batteries are getting recalled and Li-Po r/c batteries and still carry a major risk if miss treated.
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:34
NAXJA Member #149

First off, they are right, zero emission cars are the wave of the future. We will see more and more of them in the coming years. The technology is still in it's infancy. It will improve as time goes by. As for whether they actually reduce emissions, they will. Power plants are much cleaner than cars. Also, not all electicity comes from oil powered power plants. I'm for anything that helps reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I'd love to see us not have to buy any oil from countries that mean us harm. As far as I'm concerned, the Saudis, Iraqis and Iranians can drink the shit.
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:37
NAXJA Forum User

Old September 30th, 2006, 12:56
Everyone says I'm a jerk.

I find it funny how many people have this hard on against electric vehicles. When the technology matures it will be much better than our old Internal Combustion engines, what they have to figure out is the storage (batteries) and the regeneration of power and it'll be NICE.

As for the deffered emissions, yes most power plants do produce pollution and some use oil. However they are more efficient than vehicles (eaiser to fine tune the systems if you're not having so much varying load) and some are truly green. On the topic of power all we need to do is figure out what to do with nuclear waste and build more nuke plants; they're efficent as hell these days.

I'd rock a Tesla if I had the coin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
Us normal people...
Old September 30th, 2006, 13:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia
On the topic of power all we need to do is figure out what to do with nuclear waste
Ship it to heaven?

An omnipotent entity should be able to purify it right?

I was thinking dump it all over the middle east but then that would screw up the oil supply...

Bueller?
Old September 30th, 2006, 14:28
NAXJA Forum User

I would love to have an electric XJ.
You can't beat the instant torque, but the weight of the batteries would be tremendous!

I wonder when I will be able to convert it to hydrogen and not even need to buy water for wheeling.
Imagine having a collection tank in an icechest with a spiggot on the side.
Now, that's cutting edge.
Old September 30th, 2006, 14:37
NAXJA Forum User

two words:
Mr. Fusion
Old September 30th, 2006, 14:45
NAXJA Forum User

Clean coal (yeah, that's a whole 'nother argument in itself!) and nuclear will be with us for a loooonnngg time, and we have lots of both, so from an energy independence stand point this is good. Recharge times and range seem to be problematic though.
Old September 30th, 2006, 14:48
NAXJA Forum User

Honda is already producing a hydrogen car, Iceland is 76% H powered already with easy access to public company Hydrogen refill stations and they are very proud of it like their geo thermal power generation.
Hondas setup includes a home station that generates hydrogen for the fuel cell. Corporations are the main blockers of the new technology. Sure as heck the various industrys dont want the individual to be totally independent, Hondas issue is do they sell the generators or lease them, sell them and it's a one shot deal, redesign them somehow so you have replace certain parts, annodes for example, on a statistical basis though splitting H2O is a pretty basic thing, submarines have been doing it for over 50 years only the dump the the hydrogen and keep the oxygen. Lease them and there is a steady income stream, residuals is the name of the game. It's all based on what I call the 'drug addict' model.
If you read some of the interviews with the tesla people they plan on a 4 passenger model after the hot rods are done, going to be in the high $35's to $40K bracket with a 350+ mile range but even that will change as newer battery technology comes out. Couple that with the leaps and bounds that solar cell technology has made where they now produce electricity on both sides of the visible light spectrum, IR ranges and their improved efficiency it's only a matter of time.

As for new nuke power reactors, it used to be that the subs I was on needed to be re-cored every 6-7 years, the new reactors are good for 20+ before recoring, thats a major milestone in nuclear waste reduction. What we really need is to get the politicians out, let the Navy design a standard core model that is modular and can be removed quickly and replaced then build them. These 'one off' designs of the past plants are a nite mare with each one totally different from the others. Heck, a submarines reactor is not much bigger than say a small dumpster and can power 4 westinghouse 5,000 KW steam turbines and for a size reference would take up about the same foot print as a medium sized ranch house.

Last edited by RichP; September 30th, 2006 at 14:57.