NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 19th, 2005, 17:15
NAXJA Forum User

Transfer Case Sludge

My son has had a great time off-roading with his 89 XJ. The jeep came home with a college buddy, I changed oil and was topping off the transfer case (NP242) when I noticed the fill tubing came out with something looking like mud on it.

The short version: The boys stopped the jeep in a stream! Obviously sucked water in due to rapid cooling/vacuum. Rear seal is shot, front might be too. Pulled drain plug to have sludge drop out.

I've added fluid, gone for a short drive (in full-time 4 wheel) then drained the fluid - done this 4 times. Fluid is starting to look red now!

Any recommendations on flushing the transfer case? Should I run synthetic ATF in it (for detergent action)?
Old November 19th, 2005, 17:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Transfer Case Sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running-Snail
My son has had a great time off-roading with his 89 XJ. The jeep came home with a college buddy, I changed oil and was topping off the transfer case (NP242) when I noticed the fill tubing came out with something looking like mud on it.

The short version: The boys stopped the jeep in a stream! Obviously sucked water in due to rapid cooling/vacuum. Rear seal is shot, front might be too. Pulled drain plug to have sludge drop out.

I've added fluid, gone for a short drive (in full-time 4 wheel) then drained the fluid - done this 4 times. Fluid is starting to look red now!

Any recommendations on flushing the transfer case? Should I run synthetic ATF in it (for detergent action)?
What fill tube?
Old November 19th, 2005, 18:04
NAXJA Forum User

Question Re: Transfer Case Sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by langer1
What fill tube?
probally a funnel

sry to try and steal the tread does anyone kno a way to flush the transfer case
Old November 19th, 2005, 18:07
Water is dirty

Open it up and clean it out. That's the best way to 'flush' it if you're noticing sludge.
Old November 20th, 2005, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

Maybe try a can of brake cleaner, use the little straw and spray whatever you can through the holes, fill run and repeat. That should work more effectively then just drain and refilling.
Old November 20th, 2005, 17:17
NAXJA Forum User

seafoam transmission treatment worked good for cleaning out sludge in my transfer case.(drain and filled with new fluid and the whole can of seafom tranny treatment drove for a week then drained and filled again with propper fluid again)