NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:38
NAXJA Forum User

Question CCV and Intake sludge

Last weekend I replaced my exhaust manifold with a Banks Torquetube. While I had the intake manifold off I noticed the level of buildup inside it and the intake ports. I also noticed the carbon on the valves. I assume that the CCV is allowing this to happen with the oil vapor that comes in from the valve cover. Is there a way to stop this buildup? Can I put some type of catch can on this CCV tube to catch the oil and still allow the fumes to go through to the intake?

TIA
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Re: CCV and Intake sludge

Just use a can of throttle body cleaner on every so often. Keeps things nice and clean. A guy I know suggested taking the hose of the brake booster and sucking fuel injector cleaner into the manifold through the hose while the engine is running. I tried it but I'd just cleaned the tb out so I don't know who much of an improvment it was.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Style
Just use a can of throttle body cleaner on every so often. Keeps things nice and clean. A guy I know suggested taking the hose of the brake booster and sucking fuel injector cleaner into the manifold through the hose while the engine is running. I tried it but I'd just cleaned the tb out so I don't know who much of an improvment it was.
I have done this before with Top Engine Cleaner. I was just amazed at the amount of crud that was in the engine. Mine is a 98 with 62k miles on it. I cannot imagine how much crud is in an engine with 100k miles.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:09
NAXJA Forum User

Ya gotta put down the duckie and clean that PVC once in a while. This is accomplished by removing the valve cover.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:27
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs up Re: CCV and Intake sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjx40250
Ya gotta put down the duckie and clean that PVC once in a while. This is accomplished by removing the valve cover.
Thanks for the reply. I will take off the valve cover a have a look to see what type of oil or what is in there. I don't think that there is a PVC in there. If I recall there is just the "orifice" as its called. As far as this "duckie" is concerned; I was not even aware that I had picked it up. I will definitely put it down if I find that I have.