NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:39
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Difference between early and late model AW4's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTY Mouse View Post
neither of the input sensor wires? sounds like the pulse per min or what ever then don't matter... doesn't speedo on my 89 pick up from the transfer case anyway?
No still have to deal with the output sensor issue. Those are for the trans controller. It doesn't use the the vehicle speed sensor.
Old March 28th, 2010, 19:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
No still have to deal with the output sensor issue. Those are for the trans controller. It doesn't use the the vehicle speed sensor.
Correct. The tranny output speed sensor is still needed, and needs to be 1 pulse per rev for the trans computer to work correctly. Have a look at the list of links I posted at http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006791

Last edited by lawsoncl; March 28th, 2010 at 19:39.
Old March 28th, 2010, 21:52
NAXJA Member

No pictures that I have - but you can distinguish them pretty easily. A 98 or newer will have a sensor with (I think) two wires going to it up at the front near the bellhousing / shift cable bracket, while a 97 or older will have a mounting boss for one but it won't be machined out and there will be no sensor present.