• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover/Oil Leak Question

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but didnt find the answer I am looking for. At any rate, when the vlave cover gaskets on these XJ's crap out, where do you generally see the signs? The reason I am asking is because today I made a 60 mile roadtrip in the XJ at speeds around 75mph on the interstate with a burst up to 85 or so within the last 2 miles of the trip.

When I arrived at my destination, a mediocre amount of smoke was coming out from underneath and there were traces of wet oil around the starter, right rear side of the block near the firewall, on some connections under the right rear portion of the valve cover and down to the area near the rear main seal. Traces were also scattered on the underside of the Jeep including the tranny, TC skid and exhaust, which is why it was smoking.

Just last month, it got a new rear main seal, so I am leaning away from that. But for the life of me, I could not pinpoint where the oil was coming from, so I made my stops and reaturned to the interstate to come back home.

All the way home, things appeared fine. It did not smoke, but I have noticed a few drops of oil under the heep in the garage. Anyway, it "looks" like the valve cover gasket may be leaking a bit, but since there is oil smudges in many places, I cannot tell. Does this sound like a valve cover gasket leak?

The O ring under the oil filter adapter tends to get deformed and the seal is gone, that is the most likely location of your oil leak. Mine had to start leaking like crazy before I found that was it.

Yes. You can see in this pic the groove where the O ring fits. Do a search for this, as you will need a torx socket, and with the tight fit, you will need to cut the torx socket down, or weld it to something you can turn it with

METRI004.jpg

it could be. just clean the engine the starter and its wires. replace the gasket with a felpro one from oreilly's. from the areas you described the residue it seems to be the cover gasket. check the torque specs on the cover bolts before replacing the gasket.

in other news, i got the bb on mine and put a sye and cv shaft on it yesterday. no leaks and vibe free. when the right deal comes along ill get larger tires. on 6 or so inches of lift 32's stuff really nice! when and where is the next wheeling trip?

R_jeep said:
in other news, i got the bb on mine and put a sye and cv shaft on it yesterday. no leaks and vibe free. when the right deal comes along ill get larger tires. on 6 or so inches of lift 32's stuff really nice! when and where is the next wheeling trip?
Sweet! I'd love to see it. We are heading to Tellico next Friday and Saturday. We are doinig a night ride at Tellioc, camping and riding the trails again Saturday.

also change the gasket for the distributer. that little sucker will make it look like all kinds of other stuff is leaking.

You can get the o-rings in a universal kit in the Help! section at your auto parts store, about $8.50.

I'd change the valve cover gasket first. Oil seeping out the back of the cover will do exactly like a rear main seal - blow around on the starter and burn off the exhaust pipe. It's hard to see back there, and it often runs into the bellhousing. Since the engine is tilted to the rear, and the back bolt is the hardest to check, the rear of the cover will leak first. I have a chevy breather on the front, blowby drains down the ribs all the way to the back. There is that much tilt on the engine.

Installing a new gasket will also get you the opportunity to check and clean the tiny CCV line to the intake. That's your "PCV" system, not a regular valve - and yes, there is a long story of changing every gasket on the motor to find the DSPO had installed one.

Napa also stocks the oil filter o-ring kit "BK 6011363" for $4.99, atleast thats what worked for my 4.0L 1989 XJ.

Back