• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive Shaft Supplier

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I need 2 drive shafts, front and rear. Went to 6 different salvage yards the other day and sorted thru hundreds of shafts hoping to find the right lengths, but no luck. Thought about piecing together my own and having a local shop cut and rebalance, but by the time I put in new joints and pay for the cut/balancing the cost is close to new shafts.

I'm down to either Tom Woods or PST (Precision Shaft Technologies).
https://pstds.com/
PST is quoting less than Tom Woods and including shipping both are cheaper than my local drive line shops.
Tom Woods seems to have a good reputation, but PST is new to me.

Anyone here use or heard about PST?

Doesn’t answer your question but did you look at Adams driveshaft? Between my two jeeps i’m using three of their driveshafts and am pleased. Price is competitive, they build to spec and the turnaround is a few days.

Did you actually price your local driveline shop or are you guessing.

Six states is local to me and been really reasonable putting together dump truck drive lines and stuff.

Woods shafts are 400+ the local shops can do everything tom woods can just as good ,youd be dealing face to face instead of over the phone and email

Doesn’t answer your question but did you look at Adams driveshaft? Between my two jeeps i’m using three of their driveshafts and am pleased. Price is competitive, they build to spec and the turnaround is a few days.

Yeah, I looked at them right after I posted the above. Probably going to go with Adams now since you get a t-shirt out of the deal :)

Did you actually price your local driveline shop or are you guessing.

Six states is local to me and been really reasonable putting together dump truck drive lines and stuff.

Woods shafts are 400+ the local shops can do everything tom woods can just as good ,youd be dealing face to face instead of over the phone and email

I received actual quotes from several local shops. TW, Adams, and PST are around $300 (or less). Local shops can't touch that, at least the ones around me.

Yeah, I looked at them right after I posted the above. Probably going to go with Adams now since you get a t-shirt out of the deal :)

I received actual quotes from several local shops. TW, Adams, and PST are around $300 (or less). Local shops can't touch that, at least the ones around me.

I've tried local shops, too. Way more than TW.

I can't speak of Adams or PST. However, I've purchased a few driveshafts from TW and have been very satified, and I thought the price was good. Good service, fast shipping, and a quality product.

I've known Tom Wood for over 35 years. His products are top quality and he and his team provide unmatched customer service and support.

X 10, I've been buying them for over 20yrs. His options and his product are always top notch and ready to go, I've never had a balance issue so sending one back has never happened.

If you have a Fleetpride in your area they'll shorten/lengthen and balance a used shaft for $80. You can get u-joints through them too or get your own for much cheaper

I use my local shop. Front XJ drivelines work for both front and rear with out modifications to the length. They only charge me $75 for new u joints and rebalance provided I supply them with the correct flanges.

What if say... you rip your drive shaft off the diff, and use it as a pogo stick... then when you finally get it home you can’t extend it without beating the piss out of the yoke with a BFH... and it will not collapse without said hammer... the whole mess would then need replacing ya? The work to cut and weld a new spline and yoke likely not cost effective?
Hypothetically speaking of course :/

It appears to be a stock DS... is there a lift height that the front will start to become a liability (too short) at? Long arms means more droop so the concern is at full droop the slip yoke either doesn’t have enough engagement, or pulls itself out entirely. I’ve seen and referenced a chart with different stock ds lengths through years/ models and don’t exactly remember what I found for the rear after sye install.

Just a concern I had now that I’m (hypothetically) in the market for another front ds

Tom Woods is a luxury I can’t afford atm... but very happy with the 2 my ZJ had

Last edited:
I have a 6” Long arm FT lift in the front and 6” rear RE Springs with FT boomerang FT 1” shackles never had a problem using stock front drive shaft in the front and stock front drive shaft in the rear. I am running a Ford 8.8 with ford flanges. I have a Hackntap kit on the transfer case. I wheel tuff trails Rubicon and Fordyce no issues. The stock shafts are smaller than most after market shafts in diameter so I don’t hit them on rocks often.

Good to know!

Since TW and Adams are both volume suppliers, I checked around to see if there were any discount codes out there. Sure enough, BleepinJeep has a 20% off code for Adams if you sign up for his news letter.
This made the decision easy and ended up ordering from Adams which knocked 130 bucks off the order :thumbup:

Good deal. I've run three of the Adams driveshafts over the years. Their quality and speedy service are top notch.

Back