• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Body part number and date?

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
While I had my cowl cover off, I noticed a date and what seems to be a part number under the grime. Cleaned it off and found this.

I checked my parts guide and the numbers don't match. Anyone know what the number represents?

K5ZBJ9V.jpg

Last edited:
You found what?
No pics.

Sorry, had to scale the pic and republish

The 6 27 88 is most likely the day the body was built.
The other number is a mystery, does it have anything in common with the VIN number?

Well, it is an '88. Doesn't seem related directly to the VIN.

Just out of curiosity, do you still have the sticker/plate on the driver's door that shows the vehicle's build date? Be interesting to see how close it is to the number that looks like a date in the pic, might give some insight into how long your Jeep spent on the assembly line.

I can see why the other one reminds you of a part number, but if it doesn't match the part number for the unibody (does your guide show a part number for that, by the way?), maybe it's a production serial number for the body?

In my line of work, we assign numbers to hardware we build that are a combination of the technical drawing number for the part and a production serial number. If that's the case here, then part of that upper number identifies the the official design drawing of the body structure, and the rest is probably a production serial number for the part. Be interesting if someone else with an 88 could maybe take a look under their cowl cover and see what their numbers are? If the left part of that upper one matches (typically the production-order-unique part is on the right side for the numbers I'm thinking of), maybe I'm onto something. I may try and take a look at my '92 over the weekend as well - I don't expect an exact match to an 88, because there might have been minor revisions over the years, but now you've got me curious about my truck.

Also: I've never had an official build sheet for my Jeep, but maybe this is the sort of thing you'd need to confirm a "numbers matching" vehicle, in concert with the serial numbers of the engine/trans/etc., like they do with collector cars?

Back