• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine bulb finally burned out... Ha

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
For the many years I've owned my '01 XJ the Check Engine bulb has been on almost non-stop. First was when my Pre-Cats burned out which was causing issues w/my O2 Sensors, etc... after ~ 1 year I finally broke down and changed all that out...

For the last couple of years I've been P0456 - Slight emissions leak, which I thought I'd resolved recently after finally buying a smoke machine and finding a small leak in the hose near the canister by the gastank. Fixed that and replaced the old gas cap w/a new Mopar cap... now my CE light was intermittently on/off/on/off... until finally it just was OFF!!

It didn't come on when I first started my XJ so I hooked up my OBDII scanner and yep, still had that stupid P0456 code... but the bulb was finally burned out. HA

I also had a bulb in the center part of my gauge cluster burn out a couple months back... so I suppose it's time to replace them all. Perhaps a good time to upgrade to LED's?

I have seen links and posts about LED gauge bulb replacement so I suppose now might be a time to do that. Any tips / tricks / pointers / regrets / links you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Knock on wood... my '01 XJ is still chugging along as my DD!!

Thanks all.

I love it when my Jeep fixes itself.

On mine it is the washer fluid level bulb that has mercifully burned out.

Here, that's the first thing the emissions people look for, no light, no inspection!

I love it when my Jeep fixes itself.

On mine it is the washer fluid level bulb that has mercifully burned out.

I disconnected the washer warning sensor. the washer warning light was very irritating to have on at night. A low washer level is hardly worth a warning light.
A good part of my life I drove a car that never had a washer, and another that had a hand operated washer of limited effectiveness.

I disconnected the washer warning sensor. the washer warning light was very irritating to have on at night. A low washer level is hardly worth a warning light.
A good part of my life I drove a car that never had a washer, and another that had a hand operated washer of limited effectiveness.

They have them in '90 XJ's?
I just thought it was a '97 and up thing cause of the washer reservoir being buried in the fender where you can't see it.

Well, my '92 has one. First thing I ever fixed on it after buying it was to replace the sensor in the reservoir that controlled it.

My 86 had a low washer light. Funny thing, the truck didn't have a computer, so the CEL was a dead socket on the cluster. It never had a bulb.

In my 92, the computer didn't have anything to do with the low washer light - just a microswitch tied to a foam float on a little assembly mounted in the reservoir.

Back