• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME 3" vs 4"

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj that I bought new. Been wanting to lift for decades. About the pull the trigger. Initially I was thinking RE but now OME.
So I go on Rock-Road and the cost of a 4" is less than a 2-3" kit! I am thinking of going for the 4" and let it settle down for the 3-3 1/2"
I have a track bar and adjustable uppers and lowers.

My plan is to only run 31" because I don't wan to do gearing (3.55 with auto)

What say you?

Just looked quickly...read the details of each kit. It appears the 3" (@ $868) comes with OME shocks, the 4" (@ $811) comes with house brand shocks. Keep that in mind. The 4" also basically just includes spacers to get up another 1/2" to an inch. The 4" does not include LCAs, the 3" does. The 3" does not come with leaf spring bushings. There is likely a whole lot more different between the two kits. They are not equal kits by any means.

I'd probably check out DPG-Off Road for OME stuff. Also, if you go 3-1/2 then maybe Metal Cloak front springs. At least that is what I am looking at. Hard to say what and how springs will settle. It took about 3-5 years for my RC springs to settle to 4.5 from 6 inches. Not sure what shocks I'd go with.

Gearwhine - thanks for pointing out the differences. The shocks I got. Rocky Road appears to take a minimalist approach which I like.

75SV1 - DPG kit is overkill as I already have some of the parts. Thanks for pointing out the option.

I would recommend using adj. control arms, both upper and lower, to accommodate the different geometry made by the lift. I have put about 15,000 miles on a 3.5" lift (RE superflex, stock UCAs). It had plenty of flex with 31s and stuffed 33's like a glove, but the ride on road was horrible. It felt like the tires left the ground over every bump.
Now I have about 10,000 miles on 3.5" metalcloak front coils, OME cs330rb leaves, bilstein 5100's, and a 3-link. I think the 3-link was the biggest factor, but it rides 10x better. It still handles like you would expect a solid axle vehicle to, but it is more comfortable. The OME leafs have settled from about 4.75" -3.5" after towing a 2,000lb trailer for 500 miles. The overload leaves in these packs are really helpful at keeping the road manners when the Jeep is full of people/gear/etc.

Jmyers - Got the uppers, lowers and track bar covered, all adjustable. Heard good things abouit Metalcloak.
I don't like the difference between the 1.5 front coils and the rear at 4.5 for the OME kit. Don't like the idea of spacers to make up for it or to remove a rear leaf. You got me thinking of just BIY config like yours. I will have to price it out. stimulous money might help!
As appealing as it might be, 3-link might have to wait.

All parts are in. Shocks are out and Ebrak cables disconnected and are being replaced. Debating on remobing one leaf.
At least it will be drivable and can pass inspection. Will need to get QD for the sway and replacement bumps.
Any recommendations for bumps?

I used stock bumps on the front with hockey pucks on the axle pads. In the rear I used 4.1" Up-Country package length DayStar poly bumps with spacers between the bump and the frame rail.

So how do you determine what the bump stop length needs to be?

My OEM ones are rotten and show deformation from the axle hitting it. I once drove from Pagosa Springs to Portland Oregon with a load that caused me to run on the bumps most of the time. I am sure it didn't help the spring life!

The OME rear springs are measuring out to nearly 5 inches. I going to load it down to the 3/5 level with something, just to get it to settle down.

Haven't finished the front yet. Tempted to keep the extra OEM rubber donut that I had in there. Problem is that the springs are already installed. Quite the effort using spring compressors. The stock ones nearly fell out.

Best to flex it and measure it, to many factor like lift, tire size, backspace, and shocks.

RCP gave the correct answer, but I have +3" additional bump stop on 5.5" of lift and 31's. I had +2" of additional bump stop on 3.5" of lift and 31's.

Back