• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil bucket angle to pinion and C

sh!nny

NAXJA Forum User
so im kinda frustrated - just did new coil buckets etc on a dana 30 hp.

i think i might have had a faulty angle finder cuz now after finishing the angles visually looked more extreme - using a different angle finder i found that the pinion is sitting at 13.4degrees up, the Inner C measring from the flat of the lower ball joint is at -2degrees and the coil bucket sits at 0 degrees.

how ****ed am i? i do have long arms etc, and i did plan on pushing the axle forward about an inch.

do i need to cut out my coil buckets and re do them or would i be ok with just adjusting the arms?

Gotta a pic?

Your caster should be +4-+6. If you are -2 that's way off.

For your pinion, With a standard non-CV driveshaft you want your pinion angle to be equal and opposite of your transfer case output angle (i.e. If your transfer case output equals 4 degrees DOWN your pinion angle should be 4 degrees UP).

Gotta a pic?

Your caster should be +4-+6. If you are -2 that's way off.

For your pinion, With a standard non-CV driveshaft you want your pinion angle to be equal and opposite of your transfer case output angle (i.e. If your transfer case output equals 4 degrees DOWN your pinion angle should be 4 degrees UP).

yea ill try to load one up. with the C's at dead 0 degrees measuring off the top of the lower ball joint, the coil buckets lean back pointing up at the front about 3.5 degrees. pinion point up at the back at 9 degrees...

i dont know how i ****ed this up so bad since i measured like 100 times - pretty sure my digi angle finder is ****ed.

Is this true for a driveshaft that has a double carden at the transfer case? I 've been confused about this and all the documentation I have read online indicates that the pinion should be inline with the drive shaft to maintain speed, letting the double carden adjust the angles between the transfer case and drive shaft.

search

you don't sound too F***ed. rotate the pinion down, that will bring some caster back into the picture. I'd also push axle forward so that your coil buckets have some "negative" angle but will aim your coils to the tower. you may have to live with a little coil bow. or you could shim the bucket in the direction you need.

did you use offset coil buckets? I.e. relocate the bucket aft of the axle?

you don't sound too F***ed. rotate the pinion down, that will bring some caster back into the picture. I'd also push axle forward so that your coil buckets have some "negative" angle but will aim your coils to the tower. you may have to live with a little coil bow. or you could shim the bucket in the direction you need.

did you use offset coil buckets? I.e. relocate the bucket aft of the axle?

no i did not offset them, i just angled them back 2 degrees more than i should i have.. im not worried about caster really, im more worried about losing a spring but i am going to be pushing the axle about 1.5in forward as well and the coil mount unibody side does point a little forward so maybe it wont bow as much.

i think i am over reacting on this situation. p.s. what pic hose site is used for this website lol sorry.

no i did not offset them, i just angled them back 2 degrees more than i should i have.. im not worried about caster really, im more worried about losing a spring but i am going to be pushing the axle about 1.5in forward as well and the coil mount unibody side does point a little forward so maybe it wont bow as much.

i think i am over reacting on this situation. p.s. what pic hose site is used for this website lol sorry.

negative caster isn't good so try to get that back in the pos. should have enough adjustment in your arms to get pinion angle back to normal as well.

pic host: IMO easiest is to put tapatalk app on your phone and post straight from there. or use imgur *I think*

Get your axle where you want it, set the pinion/caster angle and do what you have to to get the buckets right last even though you might have to re-do them.

negative caster isn't good so try to get that back in the pos. should have enough adjustment in your arms to get pinion angle back to normal as well.

pic host: IMO easiest is to put tapatalk app on your phone and post straight from there. or use imgur *I think*

roger that. yea i have a 3 link in the front so when i go to swap this in ill make sure all thats on point. i was mostly worried about the coil bucket angle which might really not be a major issue now that im looking it all over.

thanks for all yalls help in making me sane. i feel like ive been overthinking the hell out of all this for no reason.

roger that. yea i have a 3 link in the front so when i go to swap this in ill make sure all thats on point. i was mostly worried about the coil bucket angle which might really not be a major issue now that im looking it all over.

thanks for all yalls help in making me sane. i feel like ive been overthinking the hell out of all this for no reason.

:thumbup:

Well the only thing that pic shows is a lot of work! Without hard(and good) numbers there is not much to see.

That's seems ****ed.

Here's my 44 on my MJ trussed. Bucket should be inline an not angled.

403485d1535590991t-tale-supermj-photo741.jpg

403523d1535943059t-tale-supermj-photo723.jpg

403477d1535552184t-tale-supermj-photo654.jpg

You need to show everything as a + or - *'s and include the caster angle.

Back