• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft noise after lift

Braddahjon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 auto XJ with a 4.5' RE lift D30 low pinion front, d35 rear. After my lift my front driveshaft make a clicking noise when rotating at slow speeds. when I first put the lift in I set my lower control arms to 16.5'' and caster was out of spec and clicking was really bad almost grinding. when I remove front shaft all noise is gone, front pinion was at 0 degrees. I then adjusted the front lower control ams to 16'' and the noise was significantly resolved and caster is in spec but still has some clicking while it rotates coming to a stop. The front driveshaft has been completely rebuilt and the transfer case with a SYE. When I look at the transfer case seems the front in pointing up kinda high at the double cardon joint. would a custom driveshaft fix the noise? if I get upper control arms and extend those half inch will that fix it without affecting caster? Thanks in advance

need a longer shaft. prob another 3 inches. take the shaft off and measure the distance from center mounting point on t case to the axle.

need a longer shaft. prob another 3 inches. take the shaft off and measure the distance from center mounting point on t case to the axle.

No, I'm at 5.5" on my 2000 with the LP D30. It's the original shaft and it's been that way for 20yrs now!

Oops, that's a lot to ask for with that lift height without DB's on a LP axle.

As RCP stated above, 4.5" lift is a lot for a short arm lift with no drop brackets (maybe you have them, it does not say).

Yes get adjustable front uppers. Set your wheel base with the adjustable lowers and your pinion angle and caster with the adjustable uppers (pinion angle takes preference over caster angle in your situation), keep raising the pinion until vibes or noise stops and then hope there is enough caster in it to keep it from wandering down the road.

Do you have a transfer case drop installed (you should not need one with the SYE), that may be causing the front output of the transfer case to be angled upwards slightly.

My two cents and worth every penny! LOL

Back