• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring gear bolt paranoia

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

I recently installed a spartan locker in my d30 and just thought about one of the install procedures that I possibly rushed. I’ve put maybe 100 miles on since install.

When I reinstalled the ring gear, I used red loctite and torqued to 55ftlbs in a star pattern.

However I did not clean the oil off the ring gear or bolts. Wondering if the loctite would still set or if I should tear it apart again, clean properly and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything (carrier and ring gear)should have been cleaned so that no residual oil can be trapped under the ring gear, Loctite doesn't take to oil or other chemicals.

Everything (carrier and ring gear)should have been cleaned so that no residual oil can be trapped under the ring gear, Loctite doesn't take to oil or other chemicals.

Thanks for the input. Don’t know what I was thinking during reassembly and how I just remembered or thought that I didn’t thoroughly clean almost two weeks later.

Looks like I’ll be tearing back into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats what i would do, even if only a small chance of fail, it aint worth failing. locktite needs to bond to clean metal. oils should be removed from mating surfaces of gear. pattern rechecked probably prudent since its apart anyway, you want the pattern to show how it is, a pattern of how it was wont cut it.

Back