• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She's Alive again

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
My brother installed my CPS for me after I failed to get my newly installed motor to start last weekend. (thanks for all the trouble shooting help guys) It fired right up and ran pretty smooth for him albeit a little fast for an idle (1500-2000 RPM) I'm planning on letting her run and plugging some vacum ports to try to get the idle down. I'm going to triple check all the fluids before starting her up for a long idle. Is there anything I should be watching for as I break this thing back in? My brother said it was smoking a little bit but this motor has been laying on its side for about 3-4 months so I'm sure there is some oil that has leaked by the rings. Thanks guys. See you all on the trail very soon.

is the motor rebuilt? new? or just new to you, how many miles on the motor? If you have new rings and honed cylinders, what you need to avoid is constant, steady rpms and/or driving speeds, these need to vary so the rings don't micro weld to the cylinder walls. you would do well to start the engine and allow it to reach normal op temp, then allow it to completely cool, that's one heat cycle, 2 or 3 heat cycles and then approx 500 miles staying WELL below redline should get you broke in and rings seated well enough, it's a magical science that many people feel very passionately about, the above is my method which has worked for ford and chevy V8's and any number of harley davidson Vtwins, and 2 previous Renix's, so i know it works for me. if you are simply installing an old engine, odds are, the rings are already seated and all you need to watch is oil pressure and temperature. the reason for heat cycles and such on new rings is to avoid what is typically known as micro welding, and although I learned about it as it applies to harley's, i'm sure the concept applies to any ringed piston engine...

good luck

Thanks

The engine is out of a 1998 with about 60000 miles on it. I'll just keep an eye on the vital signs and try to get it to idle down to normal speed.

Back