• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She's ALIVE!!!!!!

spudly

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Finally got everything back together on my, new to me '94. She's been used, but from the looks of things so far not abused with almost 170K on the clock.

It started out simple enough, replace the cat, TPS and fix the oil leak at the oil filter housing. As I went along that changed, quickly.

Started with the cat, sawsall is my friend. The muffler wasn't looking to good so out it came too. Started looking at the other parts of the exhaust system and found that the exhaust manifold was cracked at the collector, that's gotta go too. Figured the O2 sensor should get swapped out while I'm at it.

Got one of the APN headers, luckily they're somewhat local so I could go pick it up. Tore everything out to get the new header in and broke the steering pump reservoir in the process.

In the meantime I started to work on the oil filter housing. SKIM hooked me with the T60 bit to get the damn thing out. Got everything back together there and SKIM told be about the motor mounts being a root cause of header cracks. Looked at mine and found that they were toast, time for another trip to the parts store.

Cleaned up the intake, throttle body and other parts of the engine bay that I could get to now that everything was out. Didn't see much that was out of whack, luckily.

Reassembled the intake and exhaust then had to deal with the steering pump problem. Tried to order a re-manufactured one and ended up getting the wrong one. So I went to pick and pull and found one there. Since I had tore mine down I knew what was involved, so instead of getting the whole pump I just got the reservoir for $5. Much better than $100 for a re-man one. Also picked up a front turn signal housing since the left one I had was broken.

Got everything back together and torqued down, then changed out the fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Turned it over a few times and she fired up and purred like a kitten :D

I'm pretty stoked since I haven't done any serious wrenching in quite awhile.

Now off to get it smogged tomorrow. Hopefully she'll pass this time through.

Here's the master list of things done (so far):

Replaced Catalytic Converter
Replaced Muffler and Tailpipe
Replaced Cracked Exhaust Header with APN one

Replaced TB gasket

Replaced TPS
Replaced O2 sensor

Repaired Oil Filter Housing Leak

Changed Oil and Filter
Replaced Air Filter
Replaced Fuel Filter

Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Plug Wires
Replaced Rotor and Distributor Cap

Changed to 30 Speedo Gear from 34 Tooth to compensate for 33" tires on stock gearing
Replaced Motor Mounts
Replaced Steering Pump Tank and Fluid

Glad to here it all went back together nicely for you and that your hard work payed off.Good luck with the smog hope to see you driven around.

Transmission stuff is this week's project. Flush it out (sea foam), change the filter and gasket and probably change the mounts based on condition of the motor mounts.

Yep, got that and the DMV squared away today. :party:

The numbers were better, but the 25mph NOx is still high (in my opinion). I only have about 50 miles on it since putting the BG44k in. Hopefully as the intake gets cleaned out the NOx will go down. We'll see in two years.

Before repairs:

CO2
15mph 15.4
25mph 15.4

O2
15mph .2
25mph .1

HC
15mph Max 89, Avg 19, Measured 24
25mph Max 54, Avg, 12, Measured 21

CO
15mph Max .66, Avg .06, Measured .13
25mph Max .80, Avg .05, Measured .13

NO
15mph Max 517, Avg 136, Measured 704
25mph Max 770, Avg 124, Measured 625

After repairs:

CO2
15mph 15.5
25mph 15.4

O2
15mph .0
25mph .0

HC
15mph Max 89, Avg 19, Measured 19
25mph Max 54, Avg, 12, Measured 10

CO
15mph Max .66, Avg .06, Measured .02
25mph Max .80, Avg .05, Measured .01

NO
15mph Max 517, Avg 136, Measured 292
25mph Max 770, Avg 124, Measured 563

If it doesn't pass smog, consider an O2 sensor and more importantly a NEW gas cap. The guys at my smog shop say that the top 3 reasons and fix for an engine not passing smog are the cat, the O2 and the gas cap. Incorrect or leaking vacuum being a distant fourth.

I had two of the three changed out going into it today (cat and O2 sensor). I'll pick up a new gas cap next run to the parts store.

I'm just happy she passed this time through. Now I have two years until I have to worry about it again.

Back