NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 24th, 2020, 16:43
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Torque required to remove seized Cherokee front axle nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
You guys think something like this $20 impact driver kit will bust loose the axle nut? Apparently it is some spring loaded cylinder that you wack with a hammer. The listings don't publish the max impulse torque delivered by a standard wack.

https://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-2910-2-...hi&sr=1-1&th=1

and

https://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-648...07782525&psc=1
These kits are more used on screw heads I had one I iused for for stuck screws on my motorcycle
Old September 24th, 2020, 17:21
NAXJA Forum User

Well, the guy at the autopart store swore by these for busting stuck bolts/nuts on vehicles, though he hadn't tried it on an axle nut. Anyone here try them with a stuck axle nut?

Here's a cheapish torque multiplier, Neiko Pro 03716B, but it's for a 3/4" drive. Can do 2200 ft-lbs for $320 CAD. Plus $100 for a 40" 3/4" breaker, plus $30 for a 3/4" 36 mm socket. That's $450. Same price as a battery operated Milwalkee high impact torque wrench w/batt.
Old September 24th, 2020, 18:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
You guys think something like this $20 impact driver kit will bust loose the axle nut?
Nope. They mostly suck for their intended purpose of screws.

If you're using a pneumatic air gun, they need LOTs of air to get that max rating. Think short big hose and lots of pressure. That 90 psi spec is at the gun while sucking hard on the hose, not the tank. Dialing up the regulator at the tank to 150 psi makes a world of difference. Also minimize any socket extensions as they start acting like torque sticks.

If all else fails get that 3/4" breaker bar wedged against the ground and drive forward.
Old September 24th, 2020, 18:44
NAXJA Forum User

Have you considered removing the axle and bearing assembly and take it to a shop and have them take the axle nut off?
Old September 24th, 2020, 19:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep ride View Post
Have you considered removing the axle and bearing assembly and take it to a shop and have them take the axle nut off?
I don't know how they would hold it? Worst case, drive it there and ask them to loosen and then torque to spec so you can re-remove them yourself at home.
Old September 24th, 2020, 19:50
NAXJA Forum User

I like the idea of, "If all else fails get that 3/4" breaker bar wedged against the ground and drive forward." I feel better knowing there's a last resort.

I have on order a Milwaukee 2767-20, which claims to have a nut busting mode of 1400 ft-lbs. Might be here this week or next. I'll try that. If it works, I keep the Milwaukee, if not it goes back to Home Depot.

I have already driven around to shops asking if they can bust the nut off. We have very little competition where I live and few shops. One shop near my house was gone. I went to Canadian Tire and the line was out the door for the service centre. I went to another shop and the guy told me to come back tomorrow and leave the Jeep with him. Not gonna happen.

I've heard some people ultimately cut the nut off, but seems like it would damage the threads on the shafts.
Old September 24th, 2020, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

I want to see the drive forward method work! the impact would be cool to but its not the same F U to the axle nut haha.

I would be curious about trying an induction heater on something with such resistance to coming off.
Old September 24th, 2020, 20:31
Stranger

Is there anyone in your area who works on big trucks? Like semis? They would probably have the impact that would do the job.

A key factor with an impact is the size of the air line. If someone is serious about getting the full performance out of their pneumatic impact they are going to be running a 1/2" air line on it. As you make local inquiries that might be an objective measure you can look for.

As has already been said, don't bother with that little handheld impact driver. Those are useful for things like door hinge screws and the like, figure things that are less than 1/2" in diameter.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old September 24th, 2020, 21:26
NAXJA Forum User

I didn't intend to suggest a $1000 solution. Ha! Looks like a few torque multiplier on Amazon for $100 or less. 1" drive tho, probably have to find a 1" drive 36 mm socket.

When I got mine off, I borrowed the Milwaukee impact from the local tool rental shop. Sounds like you're a little more remote than I am, but maybe that's an option.
Old September 24th, 2020, 21:42
NAXJA Forum User

If the impact fails, the 3/4" 40" breaker fails, torque multiplier failes, and "drive forward" fails (snaps the breaker), I'll look for a semi shop, tow truck shop, or farm equipment repair shop. I haven't seen any here, but I haven't looked. There must be one somewhere on South Vancouver Island.

I've called the tool rental shops here and they don't rent out impacts, neither do auto parts stores here. We're a little behind the times in that and many other aspects. Thank goodness for online shopping and those American big box stores who were so kind to open a store here.
Old September 24th, 2020, 22:27
NAXJA Forum User

I was wondering, to prevent this from happening again, should we be putting anti-seize or some other substance on the axle nut and axle threads?
Old September 25th, 2020, 06:05
Stranger

There is a question that can open up a whole can of worms.

My vote is yes. I don't believe in dry threads. I even use anti-seize on lug nuts.

There are arguments about how anti-seize alters the amount of friction and thus the amount of torque that should be applied to a bolt. You will have to determine your own course on that front.

Given that you live on an island I expect you have plenty of corrosion issues to contend with. Anti-seize can help.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old September 25th, 2020, 06:08
NAXJA Forum User

Absolutely, I put either anti-seize, thread sealer, or Loctite on every bolt I touch.
Old September 25th, 2020, 09:07
NAXJA Forum User

Split the nut with a Dremel or simular cutting tool. dont go deep enough to hit the threads. once split, the nut will break free easy like. you can even wedge a cold chisel in the cut and spread the opening. just cut the darn thing and be done with it. slice and dice will beat it.

the other option is an oxy acetylene torch fine tip on the nut. A soldering type propane torch aint going to get enough heat into the nut fast enough. for the heat to work you need a high heat torch that can rapidly heat the nut without taking so long as to also heat the shaft. break the nut free while it is near red hot, and shaft is still relatively cool. a propane plumbers torch just dont put out enough heat to get the nut hot enough before also heating the shaft. you need pin point high heat as from an oxy acetylene torch

so cut it or heat it with high heat.
Old September 25th, 2020, 09:22
NAXJA Forum User

He has on order a impact gun from home depot.