• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with Go-Jeep Head light upgrade

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I followed Marcus' instructions to detail on this headlight upgrade... but I am running into some issues,

The factory switch will turn on my headlights on... but it will NOT turn them off!
The upgrade works fantastic besides this slight snag,
Switching between high beam and low beam works great, no issues there

If I push the switch in with my low beams on, I'll lose all lights except for my head lights - which is not normal

If I push the switch in with my high beams on, ALL lights will cut out like they are supposed too!

If I push the switch in, the low beams will stay on unless I flick the multifunction switch on the column or click the switch into the high beam position which will than kill the headlights when the switch is off.

I do have day time running lights, but I have disconnected the module long ago...

*EDIT
Just did another test,
When the jeep is NOT running, the switch functions 100% properly.
When the jeep is running with the lights on low beam the switch will NOT turn the lights off, however if you flick or click the high beams on, it will cut the lights if the switch is pressed in...
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Your confusing me a bit here, but perhaps your not aware of the "follow me home " feature? When you turn the light off after shutting the engine off the HL will stay on for a certain amount of time (30 sec?). This is what happens with my 96. It's just a feature thats there to put some light in your pathway until you get to the front door of your house.

Your confusing me a bit here, but perhaps your not aware of the "follow me home " feature? When you turn the light off after shutting the engine off the HL will stay on for a certain amount of time (30 sec?). This is what happens with my 96. It's just a feature thats there to put some light in your pathway until you get to the front door of your house.

I am aware of that feature... BUT if you shut the lights off before you kill the ignition on my 96 it bypasses that feature (and I've never liked it anyway)

Before: if I shut the jeep off than turned off the lights, yes the head lamp delay module would kick in as it is doing now... however the headlights are staying on regardless if the jeep is running or not (AFTER the switch has been pulled out once).

If I did not have the "get me home" feature on my 96 I am positive the lights would stay on until my battery drained
-eventually the module overrides the power to the lights however this is what my problem with this setup...

This is what I just tested this morning: I'm driving down the road and for whatever reason I pull out the head light switch and push it back in my low beams are staying on (full power) regardless of the position of the switch after the lights have been sent power initially.

Than If I click on my high beams and the head lamp switch is not pulled out, it will override the low beams like normal BUT the lights will be shut off after I release the multifunction switch

-If the lamp switch is pulled out, everything functions like normal
-If the jeep is NOT running, no key in the ignition etc the switch turns everything on and off perfectly fine (with the high OR low beams selected)

When the jeep is running:

-if I pull out the switch with the low beams on and than turn the switch off, the low beams stay on until I shut the truck off and the head lamp delay module kicks in
-if I pull out the switch with the high beams on and push it back in, the switch will kill the lamps like it is supposed to

What I don't understand
-Why does it work PERFECT when the XJ isn't running
-Like I said before, if my 96 did not have the head lamp delay module I am quite certain that the low beams would stay on indefinitely and it would be neccessary to kill the beams by flicking on my high beams - the module is the only thing overriding the low beams at this point

Is that a little bit more clear

So cliff notes
After switch has been pulled on and pushed off, low beam lights stay on if vehicle is RUNNING and low beams will not be turned off unless the high beams override them or the vehicle is shut off and the head lamp delay module overrides the low beams after the ignition is killed

Last edited:
You my friend had the same exact problem I did. You have to pull the relay for your foglights. Don't ask, just do! Its to complicated for me to expalin but pull the foglight relay from under the hood. (or the fuse in the cabin) if you want.

Back